Eumig 940 stereo a sync projector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 940 stereo a sync projector?

I ask this as, in the manual, it states ... "The built in computer can store awide range of shot syncronized and frame synchronized recording instructions". It states that you can start a recording on a preset by you frame. Does this mean that it has, at least a variation of the "sync-pulse" workings of an ELMO?

Hi Osi.
    The 940 is capable of accurately beginning and ending recording at pre defined frames but does not have any form of synchroniser to regulate speed.

Comment

I'm really stunned by the audio quality produced by this projector! I have used Eumigs for years, the 926S stereo for example, but the audio quality of this piece of work really outshines even them. I have some Teac speakers that I will make the official speakers for this projector!

Comment

It is my belief that the sound quality from the Eumig S 926/938/940 stereo series of projectors is actually superior to the excellent GS1200 Stereo. I find that there is zero wow on all film stocks and all conditions of film, and the base quality is much better than the GS. Putting words to sound quality is always difficult but I would say that the sound on these Eumigs is just fuller with more depth and stereo separation. There may be equal or better sounding projectors out there but, between Elmo's and Eumig's, IMO the Eumig stereos are the tops.

Comment

Thanks go to Steve Clare and Paul Addsett for they're help setting up this 940 for U.S. usage. This projector was never marketed in the U.S., so I needed to set the voltage settings for U.S. usage. I set it from 240 voltage to 130 voltage and a 50hz, it wasn't manufactured for 60hz. This means that there could be some variables when it comes to speed settings, but with a slight adjustment, the speed knob is just fine. It has a variable take up reel size. Itcan take a 600ft, but a little adjustment with a " mini arm", and it now has a 800ft take up reel size. It has a VERY good focus to it. Most of the earlier high end models have the optical level system, but I feel that it's not good as this projectors lense set up.

Comment

Ah Osi I'm so pleased you're enjoying the machine, long may it purr for you my friend.

Comment

It has a VERY good focus to it. Most of the earlier high end models have the optical level system, but I feel that it's not good as this projectors lense set up.
              Your right Osi. The S926 and S938 were fitted with the f1.3 lens with the optical levelling lens at the front. The S940 came with the excellent Eumig Suprogon f1.2 12.5-25mm lens with no optical levelling feature, which gives a brighter and much sharper picture. I use a Kodak Ektar f1.0 fixed 22mm lens in my 938, and get a beautiful picture.

Comment

I just tried a fun little experiment. I plugged in my Panasonic RP-DJS400 stereo headphones. If you can find them, buy them. Excellent low end bass reproduction! One of the slight drawbacks to any of these stereo projectors, Eumig or ELMO, is that with one speaker in the projector, well, you obviously will not get a faithful reproduction that these projectors are designed for. Having plugged in these stereo headphones, the sound really knocks your socks off. I must admit that at times, while the main stripe will give great sound, more often than not, the balance stripe tends to be a little weak in that department. Now, nothing can make a weak balance stripe sound stellar, but this 940S does give you the best possible sound reproduction, better than I heard from the same track before. I played "The Neverending Story" last night, and, while the balance stripe was still a little weak, it sounded much better than previously. I didn't know the lense could really make quite a difference, but it did at least "appear" to be better, sharper.

Comment

Osi, that weaker balance track sound is possibly due to some head wear on the balance track head of the 940. This is a common issue with the 900 series Eumig's, the balance track head just wears out much faster than the main track head. One way to minimize wear on the balance track head is to take the pressure pad out of your old 926GL and snip off the two plastic presser fingers associated with the balance track (make sure you get the correct ones). Now you will have two presser heads in your posession, one for just mono use and one for mono and/or stereo use. Use the dedicated mono presser all the time in your new 940 and old 926, unless you are projecting stereo films, which is going to be much less frequent. Eumig have made it very fast and easy to remove and replace the presser head- less than 1 minute. So leave the 4 fingered presser out all the time, unless its stereo film. Your projectors will thank you!
                  Here is a picture of the presser pad with plastic fingers removed for track 2;

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0695 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	81680
                  Last edited by Paul Adsett; May 30, 2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Paul! You are a wunderkind of knowledge! I would have never thought of that. The projector DID come with an extra pressure pad! BTW, no matter what projector I have screened Neverending Story on, the balance stripe has always been a little weak, with a more elevated hiss.
                    Last edited by Osi Osgood; May 30, 2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Always what happens with a narrower track with magnetic sound stripe or magnetic tape! Lower output signal from the head equals more background hiss.

Comment

Paul, were you able to conquer this balance stripe issue? You have spoken in the past about having great re-records, "Grease", for instance.

Comment

Osi, my re-record of Grease was done on the EumIg 926GL Stereo, and the sound quality is absolutely stunning. That was many years ago and now the track 2 head has apparently worn out. New heads do not exist as far as I Know. So the only thing you can do is to minimize track 2 head wear as much as possible by using the "clipped off" pressure pad as described above for all mono films.
                          The GS1200 has special Sendust alloy magnetic heads, which seem to never wear out. Too bad Eumig did not use the same material.

Comment

Paul, do you happen to know off hand, as to whether the 926 on up thru 940, used the same heads? If so, I certainly already have replacement heads!

Comment

They look exactly the same to me, and I would see no reason for Eumig to have made them differently. I would love to get one.

Comment

Working...
                              X