Bolex H8 Reflex Camera Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex H8 Reflex Camera Question

What luck, I found a beautiful 8mm Bolex H8 Reflex in excellent condition and bought it for a song on Craigslist. A bit crazy I know as film is so expensive these days. However I'm going to shoot some with it..I need to detach the zoom lens (VarioSwitar 36 (8 - 36/1.9-D-Mount) to clean it but I ​​​​​am not sure how to get the lens off. It looks as if I have to unscrew the sleeve around the trigger but want to make sure.. Anyone know how I go about it or a website that will tell me? Let me know if you need more pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2313.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	82109

Richard
    Have a look the following:-
    Bolex Collector | Cameras | H-8 REX
    It does look as if your camera's release button has undergone some form of attachment which is not original.

Comment

Richard,

Congratulations on getting your Bolex. You can download the manual for the H8 here.

I used to film with a 16mm Bolex that used C-mount lenses. I recall being able to screw the lenses directly onto the turret.

It looks like the turret locking clamp (top right) is in the "lock" position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H8 tlc.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	82168

Comment

Thanks Maurice. I did find on a Euro Ebay page the lens that is mounted on my camera. As you can see it's all fused together and is made especially for the Bolex, as it slips right over the trigger. It is described in the Ebay page as being rare.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 1.18.34 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	82175

Also thanks for the link as it describes the Rex O Fader and the Automatic Self Timer which came with the camera I bought

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 1.29.31 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	185.5 KB ID:	82176

http://www.bolexcollector.com/accessories/misc60.html#4

Also thanks Douglas, luckily the camera came with the manual but doesn't mention this somewhat 'rare' lens. Here's the link for the lens on Euro Ebay. With broken Iris blades it's still selling for $550/ There oughta be a law!

https://tinyurl.com/mr22vkzv

Here's another description of this lens (but not how to mount and dismount-still looking!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 2.45.57 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	82178

Last edited by Richard Bock; June 07, 2023, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Found the answer in case someone has similar question, which is quite simple...the base of that lens has a silver knurled ring. Simply turn it counter-clockwise to remove the lens. And the trigger part is not attached but slips right off/ I had to use a hand wrench to GENTLY move that knurled ring as time seems to have fused it somewhat to the turret.

Comment

Working...
          X