Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scope films / GS-1200

Hello Gang,
    I've gotten my hands on a movie but it's in 'scope'. I have spent a couple of hours going down a rabbit hole but I'm still struggling to understand how to go about getting a lens attachment for my GS-1200.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions (ie lens to consider or where they can be purchased), I would like to know.
    Budget options preferred!

As far as I can understand, you buy an attachment for the lens/projector and it sorta swings into position as and when it's required?

Thanks, LH

There are „universal holders“ and a few for some specific projectors, e.g. your GS1200:
    http://www.ffr-film.de/eng-anamorphotenhalter-.html

Comment

Another source:
      https://van-eck.net/en/product-categ...ns-holders-en/

Comment

As you are on a budget, try making one yourself. Mine is made from an offcut of 1.5cm thick perspex with 2 nylon screws to hold the lens in place. The hole in the perspex was drilled specifically for a Kowa 8z size. You could of course use some scrap wood lying around.

Comment

Brilliant! Thanks for the adapter suggestions. I will attempt to make one!

But, what are the lens options? I can't seem to find many when I search on ebay/google.

Comment

Hi Lee , I may have a scope lens adapter that will fit your Elmos GS1200 if your interested it will be like new and cheeper!

Steve Singarella

Comment

Lens: As you seem to be located in the UK: https://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/...eous-equipment

(Prices on iBäh are insane after some videographers managed to adapt scope attachments to their video-cameras. The prices for anamorphics increased to 10x the prices from 20 years ago.)

Comment

Lee
                Phil Sheard at Classic Home Cinema (link above) says he has a few 'scope lenses for sale. I suggest you 'phone him and explain what you need.

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions, I've dropped an email to CHC explaining what I'm after.
                  Are these anamorphic lenses as hard to find as it appears? What would be the best key word search? "anamorphic, lens, projector"?

Comment

„Anamorphic“ should do, then narrow down the categories. (There are usually also some t-shirts or cups with some anamorphic designs. And there are some LPs/CDs with „anamorphic“ in their title.)

The main pain point on eBay is the price. Twenty years ago, you would have been able to score some Sankors (designed for 16mm projectors), Rectimascopes (designed for 16mm projectors) and Schneider-Kreuznach (designed for 35mm projectors, but got kicked out when cinemas switched to video) for 10-50€. Now, the same anamorphics start at 100€ (or above - and usually, you aren’t the only bidder).

Comment

Watch out for anamorphics which are from old 35mm cinema use. Whilst these are great items they mostly are not suitable for home use as they will not focus down sufficiently from a possible minimum throw for a cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                        Watch out for anamorphics which are from old 35mm cinema use. Whilst these are great items they mostly are not suitable for home use as they will not focus down sufficiently from a possible minimum throw for a cinema.
                        Maurice is correct:
                        Some of them will focus down to 1.5m. But others require a minimum distance of 6m or 10m between projector and screen. So you have to be careful.

Comment

wow, ok.
                          So, any anamorphic lens will work on a super 8 projector. As long as you have enough distance for its focal range.
                          I was expecting that you would need a specific one to do the job.

Interesting! Thanks a lot for the info. I'm just about to test run my film print to see how it looks without a scope lens...

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hardcastle View Post
                            ......As long as you have enough distance for its focal range.......
                            Lee
                            This is the most important point to remember.
                            Hardly any ex 35mm cinema anamorphic would be suitable for use in the home.
                            If you see an ad for any lens check out its working distance scale from any photographs shown. If uncertain, ask the seller for details of its focus range

Comment

The two 35mm anamrphics I saw on sale the the recent BFCC were suspicously cheap, so I suspect they did not focus near enough for home use.

Comment

Working...
                              X