Eumig 810D Rattling Motor Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 810D Rattling Motor Noise

My Eumig 810D suddenly started making a rattling noise inside the motor. There's no noise (yet) while running in reverse. It rattles again after I shut off the power and it spins down to a stop. What's wrong? How involved a repair is this, or am I better off taking it to a technician?

It sounds like the fan is hitting on something when the motor tilts to forward projection. The fan is located at the bottom of the motor inside the gray aluminum casting.

Comment

The fan had broken at the neck, allowing it to float up and graze the cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	82552

Comment

What is the condition of the plastic motor mounts? If these mounts fail the motor will not sit straight in the fan housing. Once the motor drops down a bit, and you suddenly turn it on, I could see where it would destroy the fan assembly.

Comment

The mounts were intact, but had turned brown and were a bit smooshed. Then they disintegrated as I was putting everything back together.

Comment

Shane is correct, change those motor mounts. If you have acess to a 3d printer you can make a new set easily and just use the old bronze bushing from the disintegrated ones. Or you can order some new ones from Van-Eck in Europe.

Comment

Or the old fashioned was. Brass sheet, drill and file to shape. My old MkS is still running on brass after 20 years and you don't.need a 3D printer

Comment

The best substitute material may be DELRIN AF, which is a dense extremely hard wearing plastic material with some PTFE filler, which results in an extremely low friction coefficient self lubricating bearing. Widely used in military/aerospace applications. I had some Eumig bearings made from this material decades ago and they worked just fine. Mine were fabricated in a mchine shop, but you could buy some in rod or sheet form and do what Lee said - drill and file to shape,

Comment

Working...
                X