Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why there is no F/L "Back to the Future" by Derann or CHC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why there is no F/L "Back to the Future" by Derann or CHC?

Yes, Back to the Future came out after the heyday of 8mm but Derann and CHC continued to release 8mm. They released, though a blockbuster, but less famous like "The Fugitive", and CHC with “Chicken Run” but none of them released "Back to the Future". I believe if this title were available now it would be legendary and highly sought after. ​

Ged Jones or Phil Sheard can you share the light for us please. Or may be other memebrs who may guess the reason please.

Cheers,
    winbert

Don't know why, but there was an optical sound feature of Back to the Future, but it is extremely rare, even if a print exists today!

Comment

I would imagine it would be due to Derann not having a deal with the film company involved and/or access to master material.

Comment

What about in the 16mm world? Is it extremely rare too?

Comment

Back to the Future was a Universal release so likely no chance of any deal. Robert Zemeckis the director is also very protective of the film . He will not allow any remakes while he is alive. I would suspect it is very rare on 16mm.

Comment

I would say that it isn't particularly rare on 16mm.

In fact, one of the theatrical screenings I saw of Back to the Future in 1986 at Sterling University was on 16mm.

Back in the day, I personals have passed on 2 prints valued at about £300 because they were lightly scratched.

Comment

Gary Watson had a super 8 optical print of "Back to the Future", which was excellent quality, the only thing was it had Japanese sub-titles, which were vivid red, and took up a third of the screen, which to me was really annoying, he sold it at one of the "Top Hat" club BFCC's (I think 1992), he sold it I think for about £350 then (it sold within an hour of opening), we told the collector all about the Japanese sub-titles, he was not worried at all, he had the film in his collection, I wonder where that print is today?

Comment

Actually, maybe Mike has a point and I'm thinking with my head on 30 years ago. Given the prices film demands these days, perhaps all those 16mm prints of BTTF are in good homes and not going anywhere.

Getting back to Winbert's original point; as pointed out, Derann never had a deal with Universal, despite no doubt persisting.

Barry, I remember Gary briefly advertising optical prints of Raiders of the Lost Ark back then and I couldn't get a deposit down fast enough. Sadly they never appeared. But then of course I now have my scope / stereo version which I'm so glad I've kept hold of over the years.

I remember going back to my local cinema three times in the opening week to see BTTF. Those were the days. When I saw it at Sterling University, they had public film shows in the film course cinema. The quality was very good. In fact, the only give away was that the picture was a little dim. I snuck a look around the open projection booth door at the end and saw it was 16mm. Otherwise probably wouldn't have guessed.

Comment

Thanks for that extra info on the optical sound super 8 prints of "Back"! I never knew the "back" story. (Couldn't resist).

Comment

Just curios to know any titles from Universal printed by Derann during that time?

Comment

Back to the Future was a Universal Picture and they issued there own titles. Although Derann were asked by Universal 8 to distribute their product they never asked offered us the rights to any film edited or full length.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                        Back to the Future was a Universal release so likely no chance of any deal. Robert Zemeckis the director is also very protective of the film . He will not allow any remakes while he is alive. I would suspect it is very rare on 16mm.
                        I do have a very good quality copy of Back to the Future on 16mm. In fact all three of the trilogy. I purchased the set from Derann

Comment

Universal did release they're films on Super 8 optical sound. "Tender Mercies" (very good film) was also a Universal super 8 release. In the case of that print, wellll .... It is the only marginal focus super 8 optical sound print I have ever ran into, but the color has held up well.

Comment

I have a print of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" Super 8 full length optical with Japanese subtitles. Strange whats out there!

Comment

Working...
                            X