Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Third Man Distribution on Super 8 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Third Man Distribution on Super 8 ...

Were different releases of "The Third Man" made on super 8? U.S. and U.K. versions? The reason why I ask is I just bought a print of this classic film, and expecting the "Korda" UK logo at the beginning, it has MGM titles "MGM is proud to Present" and then it goes into the standard title cards with the "Zither" background. Nice print, though, with pretty good sharpness/image, with great grey tones. I am assuming that MGM handled US distribution.

The UK Super 8 release from Walton Films starts with a "London Films" logo.

Comment

...I had a UK print, most likely Walton. Later a U.S. print released by RED FOX. The latter included end title credits that were not included on the UK print.

Comment

I recently purchased the Walton 400' version of this film from Phil at CHC, which is ironic to me that it has been brought up now after all this time.

I must say that not only is it a really (sorry Lee.... reely) good edit, but can be classed as one of the best prints I have in my collection. The picture grading is first class, and it is the best mono sound that I have heard. Very very clear.

It is reassuring to know that it is also available full length. Who knows what the future has in store !

Comment

Don’t forget Ritz Films UK released this as a full length print too!!

Comment

I wonder if this version with MGM title cards, was an official MGM super 8 release? They did release a number of features, long before Derann released they're very good MGM titles.

Comment

The Walton print was a rarity from them in that it was, I believe, 6 x 400ft and not the far more usual 4 x 400ft.

I agree with your comment regarding the 400ft (which I have) Melvin - very good picture and sound.

Comment

I have the 400ft, plus parts 1 and 2 from the full version bought at the closing down sale at Walton to supliment it. It works fairly well.

Comment

Working...
                X