Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for Super 8 film collectors

Hello,

well, this is my first topic here, I hope everything is fine.

I would like to ask you if you know any printed books for Super 8 collectors? I actually do have these two in english language and it would be very interesting if there are any others.

Best,

Joachim

A quick search brought up a book called Film Collecting by Gerald McKee from 1978. I think it focuses on more than just super 8, but might be a cool addition to your library. I haven't been able to preview the book, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt

Comment

Joachim

I have this 1978 book which I can recommend.
      There are two chapters which refer to Super 8 :-
      "Standard 8 and Super 8 - Movies For Millions"
      "The Current Scene - Super 8 and the Collector"

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Maurice

Comment

Kalton C. Lahue's Collecting Classic Films (1970) covers collecting history, mostly 16mm and Standard 8mm (Super 8mm was only 5 years old at the time) however it is an interesting read.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Collecting - Lahue092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	8341

While not about film collecting, you'll need something to show those films with, so I recommend Jürgen Lossau's excellent Movie Projectors book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LossauMPCover.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8343

Doug

Comment

Kyle & Maurice: Great, I just ordered it for little money. Thanks!
          Douglas: Thank you, well, I know this book exists, I already met Jürgen already. I suppose this is something for my wishlist, since it's not a cheap one

Comment

I need the odeon book.

Comment

Well Gerald's superb book Film Collecting has certainly increased in value over the years!

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Collecti...7&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Comment

In the "other forum", in the Gallery section, I have put photos of all the books about film collectors and collecting. Have a look.

Comment

In 1993 Gerald McKee published a limited run of only 300 copies of a softback "A Half Century Of Film Collecting". Whilst this is not just for Super 8 it does cover many interesting films for the collector.
                  I bought a copy directly from Gerald not long before he sadly passed away.
                  AbeBooks have a copy at a very reasonable price of £13.50 plus postage.
                  I can thoroughly recommend this book.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/B...-srp1-_-title3

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                    In 1993 Gerald McKee published a limited run of only 300 copies of a softback "A Half Century Of Film Collecting". Whilst this is not just for Super 8 it does cover many interesting films for the collector.
                    I bought a copy directly from Gerald not long before he sadly passed away.
                    AbeBooks have a copy at a very reasonable price of £13.50 plus postage.
                    I can thoroughly recommend this book.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/B...-srp1-_-title3

Maurice
                    Thank you Maurice! Just ordered it!

Comment

Originally posted by Panayotis A. Carayannis View Post
                      In the "other forum", in the Gallery section, I have put photos of all the books about film collectors and collecting. Have a look.
                      Hi, what ist the „other forum“?

Comment

I think he could mean the old 8mm forum that was replaced by this one when the software changed it is still available, but read only. The link is Forum Archive, above.

Comment

Joachim,

I believe Panayotis is referring to one of the other Fine Film Forums on the World Wide Web. I have asked him to send you a link.

Doug

Comment

I mean "Reel Magic Film Forum" reelmagicfilmforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                              While not about film collecting, you'll need something to show those films with, so I recommend Jürgen Lossau's excellent Movie Projectors book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LossauMPCover.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8343

Doug
                              Thanks for mentioning!

Comment

Working...
                              X