Bolex 18-5 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex 18-5 advice

I am new here, so Hello to everyone. I have been making movies and projecting 8mm film for around 30 years. Recently I have acquired two Bolex 18-5 projectors. Both are Standard 8, one being automatic and the other manual. Both need some attention!
    I have read all the information about these machines in the Technical Database, and viewed one version of the original instruction manual. What I need to know is 1. How does the adjustable foot at the front operate? One is stuck fully extended. Does the knob on the side near this foot rotate to retract the foot, or is it a lock that has to be undone, then the foot can be screwed into the machine? The instruction manual didn’t help with this.
    2. There is a glass fuse in a casing near the voltage adjustment. Is this for the bulb only, or the motor and bulb? Both machines worked when initially connected, but the bulbs either blew, or lost power for some reason.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Alex

Having some spare time tonight, I’ve managed to answer both my questions. The fuse covers everything, lamp and motor. The front foot winds up and down easily on one, but the mechanism on the other doesn’t work properly. I’m getting both motors to run as they should, but the lamps don’t light. The bulb filaments appear ok (spaceman type 8V 50W), so I am thinking it may be a connection fault. Has anyone dealt with this? I’ve cleaned all contacts. Thanks. Alex.

Comment

Good morning ALEX

Ref foot could be old age seized, maybe a drop of freeing oil?
      Ref lamps, have you metered the voltage at lamp base? This should be arround 9v. Also the A1/17 8v 50w lamp is known to go high ressitance, this sometimes can be seen as a small blob on the filament [but not allways] Try metering the lamp itself as visual examination can be deceptive.
      One last long shot, if possible try a known working lamp.

REGARDS TOM

Comment

Hello Tom. Thanks for your advice. I tested the two lamps last night using a working Zeiss Movilux. One works and the other is dead. The working lamp, however, doesn’t light in either 18-5. I will take meter readings at the lamp holders to see if I am getting anything there. Both these machines had the rotten foam at the rear vent as mentioned in the technical database, so I have removed that. Both also had a fault where a large metal washer which surrounds the fan housing at the back had become detached. I’ve glued them back in place, and the motors and drive seem to operate properly.
        Alex

Comment

Alex, make sure the metal contact plate under the bulb is clean, and not oxidized. This can be a source of problems on these early Standard 8 projectors. If there is oxide or rust you will need to scrape this area clean. This will make a better contact against the bulb. Also make sure the metal plate is actually touching the bottom of the bulb. I once had this model, and the metal plate was bent down, and not making contact with the bulb. I cleaned the plate, then bent it upwards to make better contact. Also make sure the bottom of the bulb is not rusted or oxidized. After I did what I described here my 18-5 lit right up. For reference to the contact plate I am referring to see photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-06 8.35.23 PM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	83670

Comment

Hi Shane. Thanks for your advice. The lower contact is quite corroded on both machines. I have given them a basic clean, but will have to get in about them and clean them properly. I noticed that the bottom contact on the bulb appears to be lead, or a lead alloy. Again I will give them a good clean to see if I can get them to work. I’m really pleased with the quality of these projectors, and glad I finally bought them. I used to visit an old friend (he’d be 107 now if still around) and this was his preferred machine for all his travel films.
            Alex

Comment

the bottom contact will be solder, at that age a lead/tin mixture.

Comment

Working...
              X