Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 710D speaker output socket

Dear Forum,

For a couple of years I’ve had sound problems with my Eumig 710D, that's only used for the odd piece of Std 8 sound material, and is the only Eumig sound machine I have, and brought back from the dead like my other Eumigs!

The sound through the external speaker was just hum with a hint of sound. The internal speaker sound was a little better, but not much. The signal through the 5 PIN DIN was just like the external speaker. I decided to have a closer look and use some contact spray, press/ turn switches etc, inc the record button, which certainly made a big improvement with the sound via the internal speaker. However the signal via the external speaker remained the same.

Looking at the back covers speaker wiring, I started looking closely at the small junction box where the external DIN pin is plugged and noted that it is, presumably, a switch of some kind (to change from internal/external) that this must be failing. I squirted some contact spray into this but to no avail. It did seem however that this is where the problem is, and I decided as an experiment to tap an external speaker directly into the two metal contacts on the main body of the projector, and found that the sound, although ‘hummy’ was a big improvement than before. My question is where do you find a replacement speaker DIN socket with the same profile (like for like)? Or is it better to forget the internal speaker, which I never use, cut the wiring and buy a new DIN plug, and create a new port in the casing? As mentioned before this is the only sound Eumig I have, but I presume that regular Eumig users must have been here before with all the variations using the same chassis?

P.S the sound from the line out DIN plug is still very poor.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I've never had any luck finding a replacement DIN speaker jack with the switch, which seems strange: considering what they are meant to do, they should be kind of common.

I think installing a switchless external socket (DIN or not) and abandoning your internal speaker is a smart way for you to go. Just remember: whatever your internal speaker's marked impedance is (4 or 8 Ohms), you will get the best results if your external one matches it. The internal amplifier is matched to it.

-you could also install something like a switched 1/8" or 1/4" Phono plug and maintain the choice of the internal speaker. These shouldn't be hard to find and mount in a nice, discretely drilled hole. (If the case material is thick, 1/4" will probably work better.)

Comment

Thanks very much Steve, most appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X