Home made film cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made film cleaner

I want to clean one 200’ film. Is there a product available in the home to do that without buying a full bottle of proprietary film cleaner?

...There have been a few posts that suggest using mineral oil as a cleaner/lubricant and a cotton cloth. A valued print is worth the investment of some photo quality cleaning pads and a spray bottle of Filmgaurd. For one 200' reel the former would suffice.

Comment

You can usually buy Isopropyl-alcohol with 90% alcohol (or more - the higher the better) in a local pharmacy. They usually also sell it in very small bottles.

BTW: That alcohol has got various names and is sometimes also called Isopropanol.

You can sometimes also get that alcohol in hardware stores - but usually only in large bottles (2l or more) and with less alcohol (and hence more water) as it’s also used to clean plastic chairs/tables that are used outdoors.

A photography store might also have it - these days usually sold for cleaning slides or negatives before scanning.

Comment

WD40 has a big following but the very name will start a riot and many won't own up. 🤔 The fact that an old school projectionist told me about it 30 years ago was good enough for me. It cleans and lubricates. You need cotton gloves and remove excess to avoid seeing micro bubbles when projected.
        Sandbags in place for a flaming.💥💥💥😂

Comment

Thank you to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Here in Germany we can´t by Filmguard. So we are using Silicon Oil extra clean. It lubricates and cleans fantastc.
            The cleaning works with three Steps.
            First Step: Treading the Film with the Oil with a soaked little cotton Cloth.
            Second Step: Cleaning the Film with a dry cotton Cloth.
            Last Step Drying the Film with a Microfaser Cloth.

A Friend of me did this over 40 Years with his Prints and there is less wear on every Projektor.

I have heard, in the Time of the optical Sound Airline Prints they have done this before the Prints come to Projektion,
            because of cleaning up the Emulsions Dust coming from the chemical Process.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Thomas. Are you using a specific brand and type? If so, please post it here and I will pick up a can.
              BTW, where in Germany are you located? I know someone selling a Bauer T610 for only €35 but it's too far away from me and pickup only.

Comment

Hello Thomas and John
                This sounds very similar to WD-40. I do like the idea of the microfibre cloth to remove the residue. Never considered that as have always cleaned with cotton gloves, albeit screwed up rather than worn😁

Comment

David, WD-40 doesn't contain any silicone.
                  They do sell silicone lubricant but it's not the regular WD-40.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bakker View Post
                    David, WD-40 doesn't contain any silicone.
                    They do sell silicone lubricant but it's not the regular WD-40.
                    I thought the original had been discontinued but just checked and I am using the Silicone version - last purchase:
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-40-Speci...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I have also changed to using WD40 contact cleaner in preference to Servisol, seems to work as well and cheaper. NB Not for film but for noisy pots, switches etc.
                    ​​​​​🥹

Comment

I have this in use.
                      https://www.ebay.de/itm/131216460432...3ABFBMwN_htLBi

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Knappstein View Post
                        100 cst? That's as thick as motor oil.
                        I'll see if I can find that with a lower viscosity.

Comment

If you only wish to clean 200ft of film I would suggest Isopropyl. This was always the main part of the content use d in the professional industry. Apply as mentioned by other members. Ken Finch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
                            If you only wish to clean 200ft of film I would suggest Isopropyl. This was always the main part of the content use d in the professional industry. Apply as mentioned by other members. Ken Finch.

Amazon do a big bottle of Isopropyl for £7.00. Tend to use it for cleaning projector path.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079YVPZ...roduct_details

Comment

I would like to add, be sure of the cloth, that it doesn't have any "scratchable qualities, as a cotton swab, for instance can scratch plastic lenses. I learned this the hard way when I decided to dry my plastic lense glasses with a cotton swab, on a whim, and I scratched the plastic surface horribly. I state this, as if you find a cloth that will not scratch your glasses lenses, it's probably safe on cine film as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X