Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&H 605 camera lubricating points?

Hi All,

Any advice on how to lubricate the clockwork mechanism/moving parts to keep it in good running order? I was wondering if the points near the viewfinder are for oiling?

Cheers,

Glenn

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. If it’s running well, an old service engineer once explained that lubrication by users often causes ten times more problems as the wrong oil is used, too much is used etc. Basically beware!

Comment

Thanks Simon, I'll bear that in mind.

Comment

Those are the oiling holes, but be very very sparing with the oil, then halve the amount you first thought of. Of course the other bearing ends are embedded deep in the cameras innards unfortunately. How are you with taking stuff apart, and more importantly putting it back together again?

Comment

Yes, those are the rears of the bearings of the main shaft and the governor shaft, the two fastest moving parts. One drop of an acid and resin free household or sewing machine oil is good.

A thorough service, however, includes removal of all old (dried/oxidised) lubricants and application of fresh lubricants to the main spring retaining group, shuttle-shutter group, counter mechanism, wind-up friction, everything.

The Bell & Howell Filmo Eight 605 is a formidable camera. You may want to invest some money so that you have the certainty it works under any circumstance at the correct speed, produces sharp images, winds up the film neatly for the years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wyss View Post
            One drop of an acid and resin free household or sewing machine oil is good..
            Thanks Simon I didn't know about that - I've always chosen the natural oils ( not synthetic I mean ) so I reckon I've been OK.

You are right about removing the old grease/ lubricants too. I've come across some grease that is almost as sticky as super glue ( cyanoacrylate )

Comment

Working...
            X