Help with Minette S-5 editor viewer--hair or thread stuck in optical path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Minette S-5 editor viewer--hair or thread stuck in optical path

Because i'm using the device primarily as a low-fi film still capture tool (using iPhone camera in a dark room), I need to see the image edge-to-edge; corner to corner. And it worked perfectly. As long as I blew compressed air periodically through the gate (and removed the special glass dust cover for cleaning as per the manual), I was getting perfectly a clear frame and grabbed some stunning still frames--even though they're grainy, they're also sharp and contrasty. The Minette has really nice glass for a super 8 viewer.

But just the other day, something must have got stuck in the optical path, because there's a diagonal obstruction in the upper left corner. I have blown everything out with compressed air (that usually clears most foreign objects like dust or hair). It almost looks like a thread of fabric is stuck somehow

Does anyone know where I could look on this device to figure out where this came from? I can't figure out the complete optical path. There's an angled mirror inside the unit--it's completely clear and clean. The film gate itself looks fine and has been thoroughly cleaned with compressed air/q-tip and alcohol.
    This is driving me crazy.

Could it be that you have somehow cracked the corner of the mirror whilst cleaning?

Comment

No, I didn't actually touch the angled mirror inside the unit. I've only cleaned the film gate. I did blow a light puff of air underneath but not directly at the mirror. I was always told not to blast optical mirrors with compressed air.

Comment

I am not familiar with the minette editor but all the ones I have ever used have similar mechanics. The film sprocket is geared to a rotating clear Perspex prism situated under the gate. It is this which provides the intermittent movement. There is also a lens assembly. Both of these often get a tiny hair trapped on them which can be difficult to shift. If you can take the back off the editor, this will give you better access. Don’t forget to dis connect fro the power socket first!! Ken Finch.😉

Comment

The problem was the wires that feed the lamp. They aren't clamped to the inside of the chassis, so they shifted a bit and got into the light path. They're very thick and stiff wires, so it was easy to re-position them out of the light path. I must say, the Minette is well-built. No plastics in the mechanical components. Very nice piece of gear.

Comment

wow I think the Minette uses a ground glass focusing screen rather than fresnel plastic screen like was in the last Super 8 Editor I used (Elmo 912 I think).

Comment

Working...
            X