Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kodak Ektar 1.0 22mm lens--what projectors are compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodak Ektar 1.0 22mm lens--what projectors are compatible?

I picked up this Ektar lens recently on ebay because my current projector lens/lens mount simply sucks. It's impossible to get the entire frame in focus edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner. I have a Chinon MP330--after opening the box and looking at the Ektar, I can see there's no way this Kodak lens is going to fit. The Chinon's cast chassis parts are tooled specifically for the zoom lens that came with it. I would rather not mess with doing anything crazy like trying to make the outside diameter of the Ektar lens tube smaller--instead I'm looking for a reliable Super 8 projector that can accept different lenses easily. Anyone know of any projectors that will accept this lens without modification?
    Last edited by Todd Kitchen; September 05, 2023, 10:23 PM.

Todd,

I believe this is the lens that shipped with the Kodak M100 projector. Forum member Paul Adsett has used this lens in his Eumig 938, however there was a bit of machine work necessary for it to fit.

Comment

I read about Paul's project. I was hoping to avoid having to machine down the barrel, because of the risk of cracking the glass. Interestingly enough, I actually bought an M100 on Craigslist last week. I facetimed with the seller while they turned the machine on so I could see that the bulb fired and the film transport sounded okay. The guy had tons of projectors and cameras and movie memorabilia. I talked with him for an hour. We agreed on a price. The guy was so enthusiastic and personable that I broke my own rule and Venmo'd him the money for product and shipping but then he never shipped the product and kept making excuses for not shipping and now it's just radio silence. It's been 8 days and I think I can kiss my $150 goodbye. But right after that I saw the Ektar lens available on ebay for a decent price so I bought it as well. That one was legit. The lens arrived properly packed and in mint condition.

Comment

Todd, I use the Kodak Ektar lens exclusively on my Eumig 800 and 900 series projectors, but to do that I had to have the lens barrel partially machined down to 32mm diameter. This was done at a professional machine shop with an experienced machinist operating the lathe. No problems were encountered and it was about a 30 minute operation. I believe he may have made a special jig to hold the lens concentric during the procedure.
        The Ektar 1.0 22mm lens is a superb piece of glass, and being a prime non-zoom lens it has excellent contrast and is extremely sharp and very bright. It is not compatible at all with any Elmo projectors because the back focal length of the Ektar is very small, it almost sits on the film, and you just cannot get the lens shoved in far enough on the Elmo's. But Eumig 800's and 900's are fine after the lens barrel has been properly machined.
        Don't know what other projectors it might work with.

Comment

yeah it's a shame nobody back in the day agreed to standards for s/8 projector lens mounts. I know back focus is a thing because the pressure plate is on the lens side rather than the lamp side for almost all s/8 machines except Beaulieu, Noris, Braun...I guess the Eumig has enough space for the Ektar lens.

So instead of having an M100 plus a spare lens, thanks to a Craiglist scammer, now I just have a lens that won't fit any projector I own. LOL

Paul, are there any other Eumigs that would accept the Ektar? The ones you mentioned are rare/expensive. I do believe I know a machinist who could do the job.

Comment

maybe the Eumigs aren't so rare/expensive? I guess the issue is that I need to go to the super 8 database to figure out if the Mark 2 810 is an 800 series projector. I see one on ebay for $200. Super 8 database shows over 100 diff. models. It's quite confusing. LOL
            Last edited by Todd Kitchen; September 06, 2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

The only Eumig's I have tried the Ektar lens on are the 800's and 900's. I think there is a good chance the lens would also work on the excellent 700's since the 800's were just an upgrade of the 700's to provide automatic threading. - (if upgrade is the right word!)

Comment

I looked on super 8 database and there are over 100 Eumigs listed. Their numbering schema are not super consistent.
                Would a Mark 2 810 be considered "800 series?"
                Common sense would say "yes," but I'll defer to your expertise.
                Anything that doesn't shred film would probably be an upgrade over my Chinon, which simply cannot be focused across the film plane. It's got terrible barrel-type distortion at just about every focal length.

Comment

Todd that must be a Mark S810 which is a super 8 sound projector in the 800 series family. I've never heard of a 2 810.

Comment

yeah I read the "S" as a "2" I guess.

Comment

someone local has a Bolex SM80 for sale. Isn't that essentially a Eumig? Still the issue of how to machine down the Ektar lens, which I'm sort of reluctant to do because I'm afraid the glass will break. I'm wondering if it's possible to make the lens mount diameter bigger rather than make the lens barrel smaller.

Comment

Yes, the Bolex SM80 in its various incarnations is just a cosmetically altered Eumig 800 series machine.

Comment

Hi Todd. I've been playing around fitting better lenses in my silent projectors of old and I hope this is of help to you.

I buy these or similar off ebay ITEM 264753254705. 12mm F1.2. You will need to make up a sleeve (this is what the lens will be housed in for your projector)
                          Have tested and measured the light output of this prime lens and its a little better than the original Bolex f1.2 Zoom in my sound projector and sharp image.

You can pay a fortune for old lenses but this can be a good way to go if you are looking to experiment.

Anyone looking to upgrade a 800 range model Eumig, they will fit into a empty Eumig lens barrel. At 12mm it's ideal for your living room.

Hope everyone on here is keeping well and best wishes to all.

Comment

the part I'm getting stuck on is where you say you need to "make up a sleeve." I don't have a metal shop. How did you get the lens to fit?
                            I do have the Ektar already; I'm wondering if there are any widely available super 8 projectors that can accept the lens without modification

Comment

or better yet, which projectors have lens mounts that can open and close with a set screw to accept different diameter lens barrels?

I'm going to start by seeing if the spring clip thing that holds the lens on my existing projector could be shimmed to increase the diameter. The problem is that the inside part seems cast into the projector chassis.
                              Last edited by Todd Kitchen; September 26, 2023, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X