This guy got a great deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy got a great deal

This auction had just ended when I got there.
    Ended at €775 ($825)
    Lucky bastard!
    The "expert" who had set the expected price had valued it at €350 - €400 ($375 - $425)

Attached Files

It looks like a very clean machine. I don't see any marks or scuffs.

Comment

This really depends IMHO.

The film collector is already a niche market, and this sort of projector is a very niche of the niche market - go figure.

As of now I see a local Facebook Marketplace listing for the very same model GS-1200 Xenon, with (equivalent) 1,100$ asking price.😳 If my memory is correct I had seen this listing for a while - a few years at the very least - and it will more than likely to be still there for years to come...

Comment

I think the price for GS1200's has come down due to the lack of availability of the bulb whether it's the Halogen or Zenon model. Anyone buying one may have to spend time modifying for a new type lamp.

Graham S

Comment

That Graham, and it's a projector that, while pretty, is very high maintenance. I finally bought one for what was a lot of money for me, 400.00 dollars. Seller said that it was in top condition and rarely used. I had it for just two months, and it already started having big problems. Today? It's a hunk of junk, just taking up space , unless I want to spend a couple hundred dollars, just to send it somewhere to be worked on, at gawd knows what cost. Meanwhile, my Eumigs and Chinons keep of rolling along without
          an issue.

Comment

Looks a nice projector but these days I am informed that good high end projectors are 400 to 500. I still see many listed for silly money but they rarely sell.
            This one being a GS 1200, am I correct in saying that they need to be fitted with modified part to prevent serious scratching issues? I would be very concerned buying one unless I knew it had been modified or at least some service history, this one does look immaculate though so well done on this find.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bakker View Post
              This auction had just ended when I got there.
              Ended at €775 ($825)
              Lucky bastard!
              The "expert" who had set the expected price had valued it at €350 - €400 ($375 - $425)
              It all depends on our persistence in searching for cheap stuffs.

In the old 8mm forum I was known to members for these things and I keep all the data regarding my findings. For the GS series (none of them are Xenon), they are still with me to this day, here's what I paid them:​

GS-1200 Rp 700m (US$45) bought in Indonesia in 2009 at open fleamarket
              GS-1200 US$ 261.91 bought in the US via Ebay in 2010
              GS-1200 US$ 90 bought in the US via Craiglist in 2011
              GS-1200 Rp 400m (US$ 30) bought in Indonesia in 2023 via Facebook Marketplace
              GS-800 C$ 125 bought in the Canada via Kijiji (a sort of Craiglist, a subsidiary of Ebay Canada) in 2009
              GS-800 C$ 100 bought in the Canada via Kijiji in 2013
              GS-800 US$ 184.99 bought in the US via Etsy in 2013

So there are many places/sites that many don't know about and so we can get good deals there.

If you visit the Yahoo auction site in Japan, you will find many clean projectors there. Sometimes we can find a GS still in its original box, styrofoam, user manual, etc. The price may be cheaper than US/EU market price, but of course the shipping cost is prohibitive. I think our member​ Jason Smith who lives in Japan can talk about this site (and maybe other Japanese auction sites).

cheers,
              winbert​

Comment

Working...
              X