anyone ever seen one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever seen one of these?

it's on ebay right now. Cannot paste link but here are some screengrabs of what looks like some sort of oldschool Film Chain type thing based on the Pageant/M100 chassis.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 12.27.57 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	307.6 KB ID:	87813
    Attached Files

Yes it is a 24fps 5-bladed shutter telecine projector made by Kodak very similar to the M100. The case is much taller, it has a sync motor with a different drive than the M100, and a solid state amp. I own what is left of one, and have used the amp on a M100. If it runs OK and the sound and image are good, you can still use it to project films with.

Comment

well I think I'll pass on buying this because it looks damaged from the pictures and also it doesn't have a lens mount assembly. Even though I purchased a minty Ektar 1.0 22mm lens a few weeks ago, it looks like it would be a huge project to fabricate some sort of lens mount.

Comment

David M. Leugers You have an extra lens mount for the M100 you'd be willing to let go? The guy on ebay says he'll let the Eastman go cheap
        due to the missing components. I really want to try out this Ektar lens.

Comment

🤔To my understanding this projector, if still fully functional, should run at EXACTLY 23.976 fps? This might be useful for some DIY real-time telecine setup then.

Comment

That's a big IF. Like most projector listings on ebay, the seller doesn't even have a way to test the film movement because they don't have any film. LOL

Comment

I'm currently restoring the tube amp in a old brown early 50s Bell and Howell Filmosound. Instead of simply gutting it to make a guitar amp, my guy is restoring the optical playback circuit (not an easy task) so that when done, I'll have a perfectly functioning B$H Filmosound. I've already tested the film path. The projector is super clean and I fixed the belt and oiled it. It runs like a champ. After playing with it and comparing the components to my little Chinon Super 8, I long for a Super 8 projector built to a higher standard. Obviously I can't afford a Beaulieu or a Fuemo , so I'm hoping to find a clean Kodak M100. It may take me the rest of my life to find one. I already got ripped off on Craigslist because the seller was so good at establishing my confidence that I venmo'd the money upfront and then the thieving bastard never shipped the Kodak M100 that I watched him demo on Facetime. The motor sounded good; the lamp fired; it had the Ektar 22mm 1.0 lens. $170 I'll never see again.

Comment

with 99% of super8 shooters just going neg>digital transfer, there is no incentive for any manufacturer to build a brand new super 8 projector.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Kitchen View Post
                  with 99% of super8 shooters just going neg>digital transfer, there is no incentive for any manufacturer to build a brand new super 8 projector.
                  Yeah isn't that a damn shame? I'm glad I didn't fall for the negative/digital transfer thing...boring. All my current home movies are shot on the beautiful Ektachrome 100D 7294. It's been my mission to promote color reversal Super 8 on social media platforms as much as I can. I try to convince newcomers that Super 8 was meant to be projected, and nothing else compares. If you want to shoot a video and watch it on a monitor, then shoot digital, simple as that. I see no reason to shoot Super 8, and not project!

Comment

Shane's point is totally understandable, although I may not agree with that.

For the younger generation the (only) way to show their work, is to share it on their social media platform, not hanging it on the wall or projecting it to the group of their friend.🤨 That would make super 8 negative a perfect choice for its lower cost, and the ability to play around with color grading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231006_094641.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	88077

So I just take this chance to provide them my (ridiculously low cost) film scanning service, and gained some $$$ from this business.

As in the old saying that if you can't get rid of that, then learn to live with it (and find the advantage from it).

Comment

make a good story and it doesn't matter whether it was shot on 70mm or vhs.

Comment

Working...
                      X