Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 2000H acting strange, "slipping" sometimes

Me again.

Everyone's so helpful here, so I'm going to take advantage again. I've finally progressed beyond projecting my test reel, and I've encountered an odd problem.

When I play some reels (> 50% it seems), the film plays ok, but every 3-5 seconds (it seems pretty consistent, but I haven't actually timed it) the projector jitters and slips (and makes a pretty clunky noise). That causes the projected image to shake for several frames, seemingly losing framing temporarily.

Odd things I've noticed:
    • Sometimes starting over and re-threading works. The entire reel will then project ok. Sometimes it doesn't help at all and I have to give up on that reel.
    • I've never experienced it with the test reel that I'd projected a dozen times or more. Just tried again, and it works perfectly.
    • Looking at those that don't work, I can't see anything strange with the film sprocket holes (probably not the correct term, sorry) compared to the test reel.
    • When there's a reel exhibiting the problem, playing in reverse always looks/works fine. (It does not help fix the problem, though, as once I switch back to forward, it continues to happen.)
    Any ideas on what is happening?

Ken

First I would compare the spacing on the sprocket holes of the film that runs well to the film that is problematic. Film over the years can shrink and the distance between the sprocket holes gets tighter. This will effect the pull-down timing of the claw. I have a film that no matter what projector I run it on there is in some degree of jitter.

Since you have a reel that runs fine I hesitate suggesting further adjustments to the projector. However...if the problem is the claw itself...then you can refer to this thread from the old forum for information on how to adjust the depth of the claw. This fix is usually effective if the film has trouble threading not so much for jittering.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=009946

There is also an another adjustment on the front film guide. Here is the link to another old thread that is more focusing on jittering that might be helpful:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...=006641#000000

Comment

Thank you (yet again!), Janice. I will study those links, and see what I feel daring enough to try. I did try comparing the holes (see bullet #3 above; that's what I meant), but with my eyesight as it is, it's possible I simply couldn't see a difference that does exist.

It does sometime have trouble threading, too, so perhaps adjust the claw depth might fix it. I'll post an update in the next day or so, after I have a chance to fool around.

Comment

Working...
      X