Interesting Christmas Curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Christmas Curiosity

There has just been listed a super 8 black n white sound copy of "The Christmas Visitor", a classic British Halas Bachelor cartoon from the late 50's. What is fascinating, is that there was/is a color sound version, with the same cover, by this same company, but it is an obviously edited version of the cartoon, approximately Four minutes long, but this is the first time I have ever seen a full length sound version of this film, but in black and white. I wonder why they would have a "deluxe" version in color and edited, but a black and white version full length?

I can only think that at the time a full colour/sound version was thought too expensive to sell well. Do you have any idea when it was released?

Comment

No, no idea. I'm assuming the 70's. Perhaps it's a case a lot like that of the Walton Tom and Jerry cartoons. Walton was allowed to release them, but only in edited format, thus allowing MGM itself having the good pleasure of later on, releasing "complete and unedited" versions later. Perhaps, by not having a complete version in color, it made the original copyright holders original more marketable for the future, but they never bothered to. The same would hold true for a full length black and white version, the full length color version would still be marketable.

Comment

Working...
      X