Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crumpled film

Hi,
    I'm 12 months into my super8 projecting hobby. And still learning all the correct ways of projecting.

How would you deal with a film like this? A recent ebay purchase (king kong) if it's damaged as so, would you trim it and add a leader to it?
    Thanks,
    Lee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9749.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	88693

If that is only the leader, trim it and splice on a new extra... doesn't look like it's interfering with the title...Shorty

Comment

Is it natural to just keep trimming away at the leader as it gets damaged, then introduce a new leader when you can see you're approaching the titles?

Comment

I agree, but only add leader if there isn't enough leader before main titles, unless you just like a whole lot of leader before the titles. Hey, some folks just love watching the countdown.
        Last edited by Osi Osgood; October 16, 2023, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Osi, you won't have seen it but, on a UK Staurday morning children's program (Tiswas, Today Is Saturday Were A Smile) when they showed a cartoon as an intermission they showed the countdown to the children in the "audience" the countdown and enouraged them to call it out as the numbers appeared!

Comment

If you dont have a trimmer... use your scissors and cut to make an arrow shape at the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post
              If you dont have a trimmer... use your scissors and cut to make an arrow shape at the tip.
              Thanks, i used the cutter on the side of my gs-1200. But it was still a pain to feed it round the mechanics- it was popping out after it passed the lens.
              When this happens, is it wise to sort of "curl" the film the other way to even it out?

Comment

Lee,

Yes! If the leader isn't going through because of the film's wind, do a slight curl in the opposite direction without applying too much pressure or you might bend the film and cause a crimp. Normally after you curl the first foot, the film will thread properly.

Comment

Doug brought up a good point. Occasionally, on really old film releases, I have occasionally ran into films in which the leader just won't load right, without adding some good ole white leader on the front. I don't know if it's because the specific film stock was too thin, but my projector just didn't like the film. (?)

Comment

Working...
                  X