Getting an old Argus Showmaster S500 up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an old Argus Showmaster S500 up and running

Hello! This is my first time on here, so many apologies if I get any etiquette or formatting etc wrong.

I've got an Argus Showmaster S500 8mm projector that I inherited from my in-laws, along with a stack of reels that they're hoping I can digitize.

The motor and bulb work just fine. However, it appears that the rubber on the drive wheel has almost entirely disintegrated. As a result of at that (at minimum, there could be other problems that I haven't yet identified), the Forward setting doesn't work, and the Reverse setting is inconsistent at best, as the drive wheel isn't properly engaging with the drum that would advance the film (I'm probably getting some of the terminology wrong here).

I've looked around and seen that replacement drive wheels are available, though the cost of them seems not that much cheaper than just buying a whole working projector. I have a half-baked idea that if I can get at the drive wheel itself, I might be able to hack something together with rubber bands or something similar to get it working without having to replace the whole part. But I'm not 100% confident in how to correctly disassemble the motor etc to get to it. The manual for the projector wasn't with it when they gave it to me, and they haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Are there repositories somewhere that might have a PDF of the manual that I could get without spending extra on it? And would that give me the information I would need to correctly take this thing apart and put it back together, or is it more of a basic operational manual? I've found at least one site that purports to sell it for about $15, but I'm a little wary of that, especially not knowing ahead of time if it'll give me what I need. Plus I'm trying to do this with as little expenditure as I can since it's a favor I'm doing for them. If I can get the projector up and running, I've got the other necessary equipment (projector screen, camera, etc) to do at least a basic, adequate digitization.

Thanks!

I have the Argus Showmaster 500 - I had it when I was 14 and I have another one now at age 66. I love this little projector. the manual is really just basic operational instruction. I have it.

I would suggest buying an Argus that doesn’t work but is being sold for parts. It is possible the part you need is in there and ‘OK’. Just a thought. When it runs good it runs fairly quiet - great little 8mm projector IMO.

Comment

I buy most of my projectors on ShopGoodwill.com Just browsing a found a handful of Argus 8mm projectors at a low auction price.
      I don't know if this one is similar to the one that you are looking for.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/181876390

Comment

Thanks! I was unaware of the ShopGoodwill site, I'll definitely check that out. And the idea of buying a non-working one to search for the part rather than buying the part by itself makes a ton of sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Headrick View Post
          Thanks! I was unaware of the ShopGoodwill site, I'll definitely check that out. And the idea of buying a non-working one to search for the part rather than buying the part by itself makes a ton of sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself.
          Robert, Often times I have found bargains there on 16mm & Super 8 Projectors that say untested but only need minor things like new belts, cleaning and lubrication.

Comment

Last night I bid on that Argus projector from Goodwill and won the auction with no other bidders! Including shipping, I'll be getting that projector for around $25, around half of what I was seeing for buying just the drive wheel on eBay. Fingers crossed it'll either be in good working condition or at least have the part I need.

Thanks again for the tip!

Comment

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed!

Comment

Robert - any update on your Argus projector?

Comment

Working...
                X