Advice on repair of manual Eumig P8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on repair of manual Eumig P8

Having spent many years using digital video media I am now trying to resuscitate my dad’s old Eumig P8 (first photo) as I have a large number of long films laboriously spliced together way back when. I fetched it out of its cupboard yesterday and to my surprise found the motor to be making the old familiar sounds. Amazingly, the bulb also worked after at least 15 years of non-use … and I still have a spare!

The motor drives nothing however as the rubber drive belt had split in two and resembles melting tar! I know where this goes (photo 2). The metal drive belt to the take-up spool appears viable (photo 3).

I have searched the internet and nearly all references relate to the later automatic model. Mine dates from about 1960-61. I also came across a reference somewhere (now lost) that there were three drive belts: the two I mention above, but where would the third be?

Can anyone out there help please? Also, would belt(s) for the automatic version fit my manual model? The model details are as per photo 4.

​​​​​​​Graham

Hello Graham
    1 All P8 main drive belt are the same, looking at your photos the pulleys look fairly clean, however it is most important that they are cleaned of any goo [a cotton bud and white spirit works well].
    These are readily available on ebay.
    2 Yes there are 3 belts in total, 2 spring type one for each arm and a rubber main drive belt. The arm belts are different sizes and for smooth running it is best that they are kink free and not stretched, but small kinks are o.k.
    The spring belts are not available new.

I see you have the original instructions, see the reference regarding lamp centering it does make a difference. The by the way is reference A1/186 12v 100w, this was changed twice on latter models, but again appears on ebay.

Comment

P.S.
      Graham your machine is the original type and has manual rewind ,thus only requires one main drive belt and one spring belt to rear arm

Regards Tom.

Comment

Thanks, Tom. THat's good to know as I had no idea where a third belt could go! Are you able to help on whether a replacement belt for the automatic version would fit my old original?

Comment

Evening Graham, the one item that Eumig P8`s carried throughout the life span of the range was the motor drive belt. So no matter which model you have or is listed so long as it is for a P8 then the drive belt is the same.
          Cautionary note. a peculiarity for any P8 is that when the machine is wired to mains but not running, the motor is LIVE, so if working with the back off but plugged into mains be carefull.
          This does not apply to Phono versions as the back forms part of circuit.

Please note I am refering to the metal P8`s not the plastic P8D which was friction drive and had a short life before being discontinued
          LOTS of belt availability, good time to buy as most ebay sellers have not increased prices to reflect the postage increases introduced last month.

Regards TOM

Comment

I'm sure the P8D was rapidly replaced by the more metal 501D as the layout looks the same but the shape more "Modern". When I bought mine I had not even heard of the P8D.

Comment

Yes you can see the heritage from P8D thru` 501/502 in the profile, P8D`s being two tone brown, but with the 2 circular wheel friction drive , could this have current Eumig engineering thinking? As all the top machines [mk8 /mkm/dl /s etc] had friction drive.
              The problem with friction drive [apart from lack of friction] is storage. If the machine is stored for a long time with the drive engaged i.e. put away in project mode, this can put a flat or a dent on the friction surface potentially writing machine off.
              When run, the projector has a compressed anomally on friction pad giving a thump every rotation.
              I have seen this on Silma sonic, and other makes.

However back Graham`s machine, in the instruction book it talks about maintance
              namely lubrication I would advise performing this function using [sparingly] a light machine oil, the machine will run sweeter.

Regards TOM

Comment

Thank you, Tom, once again, for all the information. I shall lubricate the machine before starting next time, but in the meantime I shall order a couple of drive belts. Fingers crossed!

Graham

Comment

New belt fitted and it's working just great! Most grateful for the advice.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                  X