A new podcast episode: Working at Derann – An interview with Ged Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new podcast episode: Working at Derann – An interview with Ged Jones

Often when Derann is mentioned we hear mostly about releases and deals. In this episode from The Humming Projector Podcast, Eivind talks to Ged Jones, a former director at Derann (who really shouldn't need any introduction here), about his work there and the day to day running of Derann.

Topics in this episode:
    πŸ‘‰ Derek founding the company and selling from his home
    πŸ‘‰ Derek’s first shop and moving to a new one
    πŸ‘‰ Colleagues working at Derann
    πŸ‘‰ Ged working very late and sleeping in the shop
    πŸ‘‰ Operating the sound, striping and printing machines
    πŸ‘‰ Customers visiting
    πŸ‘‰ Ged’s favorite and and least favorite parts of the job
    πŸ‘‰ Good and bad periods
    πŸ‘‰ Signs of the end
    πŸ‘‰ Conventions, including one without any visitors

Listen to the episode on the web page, on Spotify, or on YouTube. You can also subscribe and listen with a podcast player.
    ​

Another excellent episode Eivind!

Comment

Great discussion with Ged!
      I visited the shop on the High Street on two occasions and Derek gave me the shop tour. I remember Ged was doing the striping while I was there, and Gary was checking out films on one of the projectors. At the time I went in 1993 the shelves were loaded down with new prints and the whole place was a film collectors Aladdin's cave. Their legacy is thousands upon thousands of still glorious color prints.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! You were lucky to experience this, Paul! Visiting a store with shelves with new films loaded seems like a dream place for sure. I came way too late to the party, and Derann had closed before I got into the hobby. But even more interesting for me to hear Ged tell about the old days at Derann!

Comment

Eivind, another captivating listen! Thank you so much! And also thanks to Ged Jones for his fascinating and honest insight. Just marvelous.

I remember working in Birmingham around the late 90's and finding an hour to visit Derann's shop. I stood at the counter with Ged and chose a brand new Disney from the shelves full of super 8 features. Those were the days.

Comment

Another Excellent podcast Eivind! I always enjoy listening to these!

Comment

Thanks, Rob and Shane! It is great to read your feedback and much appreciated! Looking at listening numbers can say a bit about if what we do gather some interest, but reading your feedback is a lot more motivating!

Comment

Top-notch job...Ged is a true gem to us all.. Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Another great podcast Eivind. I really enjoyed learning a little bit more about Derran. They were closed or at least in the process of closing when I joined the hobby.

Comment

I came too late to the party myself. Three years late to be exact. In the beginning I saw a lot of posts referring to Derann, and how sad it was it had closed, so I realized already then just how few years late I had been to this hobby. But Ged is such a good story teller, and I almost feel I was there when he talks about Derann. I am very much looking forward to Blackpool in less than two weeks, and to see Ged's second Q&A with Adrian.

Comment

Working...
                    X