Sankyo 2000H potential transformer failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 2000H potential transformer failure

Hi folks, I'm new here and recently bought a Sankyo 2000H (Su8/St8) projector to view my Grandad's home movies and to project some of my own super 8 creations.

The projector was bought from eBay as "motor turns on and bulb lights up but no film to test transport/winding", so I happily found that it was (initially) able to take in the super 8 film and project it fairly smoothly. I've received some standard 8 film to test the projectors other speed setting but when I turned it on last night the bulb would not light. Film was transporting as normal and the wee 'Standard/Super' light on the top was also lit appropriately.

I'm trying to sort a multimeter to test the bulb (and have a new bulb on the way) but one thing I noticed yesterday was that there was subtle hum coming from inside the projector body when the 'On/Off' switch at the back of the projector was on. It is subtle so I'm not sure if it definitely hasn't been here since the start but it made me think of transformer noise and from the conversation in the comments of this video with user superdraffy5674, makes me worried it is an internal failure.

I obviously need to do a bit more troubleshooting but if it is an electronic component failure, is there any likelihood of fixing it DIY? Can replacements be sought? Could I rig up a totally separate light source and just jig that into the slot where the bulb used to be?

many thanks for any advice you can offer

Hi Gillian,

A transformer is an iron core which is exposed to a magnetic field powered by the AC power coming in through the line cord. This makes it kind of like a speaker, since the alternating magnetic field will vibrate the core a little bit and give an audible hum, especially if you listen for it.

If you can describe it as "subtle", you are probably doing just fine. It's when it starts to sound "angry", it's time to pull the plug!

I got my first 16mm projector a few years ago with a much bigger transformer than the lifetime of 8mm machines I've had. I felt very similarly to the way you do, but in my case I thought the hum was coming out of the speaker. I held the speaker up to my ear and was surprised to find it was coming from someplace else. (I learned to ignore it!)
    Last edited by Steve Klare; November 03, 2023, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Gillian
      I agree with Steve a subtle hum from a transformer is normal. I assume the eBay seller shipped it up to you and the machine most certainly had a few knocks on its journey. This is what probably caused the lamp to blow. However testing the voltage at the lamp base with the switch on would determine whether the tranny is ok. Keep us posted and good luck.
      John

Comment

Great - that’s reassuring, thanks guys : )

New bulb is on its way so I’ll update once it’s in!

Comment

Bulb arrived today so popped it in and the projector is working perfectly. Thanks all for the input!

Comment

Working...
          X