Kodak Moviedeck 477 Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodak Moviedeck 477 Stopped Working

I was mid-film when the image stopped moving. This was the first time the projector was used in probably 30 years. I'm thinking its the same drive issue as the Keystone I posted about separately. Any information or suggestions welcome.

I had a Moviedeck that stopped working about 15 years ago. Since there weren't as many good repair videos on youtube back then, I started taking it apart without any guidance and I was never able to get it put back together properly. It was the most frustratingly designed piece of equipment I've ever worked on.

Since then I've repaired a Chinon and an Eumig. Although the Moviedeck design is rather unconventional, I bet it's just that the motor simply cannot engage the drive wheel due to some plastic part disintegrating over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Kitchen View Post
      I had a Moviedeck that stopped working about 15 years ago. Since there weren't as many good repair videos on youtube back then, I started taking it apart without any guidance and I was never able to get it put back together properly. It was the most frustratingly designed piece of equipment I've ever worked on.

Since then I've repaired a Chinon and an Eumig. Although the Moviedeck design is rather unconventional, I bet it's just that the motor simply cannot engage the drive wheel due to some plastic part disintegrating over time.
      Sorry about that, mate. Fear of your experience is what's stopped me from doing anything with this unit beyond returning it to its box. I've seen photos of a disassembled Carousel projector of the same vintage and it looks daunting. Thank you for your post.

Comment

I have a copy of a Kodak Moviedeck Repair Manual if you need it.

Comment

My very first movie projector was a Moviedeck 447 (Christmas present from Mom and Dad when I was 16 years old.)

In its day I got a lot of joy out of it, but I retired it when I went into sound about 20 years ago. The sad thing about many Kodak movie products of this era is the plastics they used became embrittled with time and eventually just broke. I also have my Dad's Carousel slide projector. The same thing happened to it, but I got it repaired so I can see his slides. (-plus a few of my own...)

In the best case, some ancient belt has broken in your Moviedeck, but there is a decent chance something like the gear on the shutter assembly has crumbled. There was a service some years ago that would rivet a new gear on the shutter, but I don't know if they are still around.

Fortunately none of this applies to the Kodak Pageant 16mm machines: it's as if they are built with salvaged WWII tank parts and at least feel like they would survive a bomb strike!

(Good thing too! -a Pageant is the only 16mm machine I have, at least for now!)

Comment

Thank you, all. I found someone who repairs old Kodak equipment and it's there now.

Comment

that's great that you found someone who knows how to fix it!!

Comment

Working...
              X