8mm home movies question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm home movies question

My brother's neighbor passed away and his wife was going through his stuff in the garage and found a box of 8mm films on 400ft metal reels in cans. He worked in the film department at a TV station in the 60's and collected a few 16mm films. He left the station and became a professional photographer. She was going to throw out all the films and I told my brother to save them and keep them for me. I picked up the films a few 16mm but not much any good. He did have several 400 ft 8mm films he shot on vacations. 1966 & 62 is labeled san diego zoo & sea world, Disneyland & universal studios. Summer vacation 71 at disneyland, yosemite & yellowstone park. There are many more not labeled. Looks like standard 8 & super 8 films. He was a professional photographer so they should be really good. My question is what should I do with these films is there any interest in them I don't want to throw them out? I don't collect 8mm anymore although I do have super 8 & standard 8 projectors I kept. I don't really have the time to view them all since my interest is in 16mm films. Thanks and any information would be greatly appreciated!

You could try selling them on Ebay. Some people are looking for archival footage from the 50's,60's & 70's

Comment

That's a shame the wife wanted to just throw away these films, especially the Standard 8 and Super 8 home movies. I'm sure his wife would be in some of these films? I guess I better teach my wife how to use our trusty projector, so she can watch our current home movies if I was to pass before her! It's too bad some people just don't have a sentimental connection to the past. I'm glad I do!

Comment

Roger
        I would hang on to them until you have time to sort them out, my idea would be to offer his wife a viewing of his films taking a film projector round to her place, my guess she will want to keep them after watching them with the possibility of doing a digital transfer. There is a chance his wife wanted to get rid of them only because she can't watch them, with this thought in mind, you might be able to help her out.

As far as e-bay selling other peoples personal home movies, that kind of thing does not seem the right thing to do in my book, anyway that's my thoughts

Comment

Working...
        X