Speaker removal on the GS1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker removal on the GS1200

I would like to make the case for removing the internal speakers on the Elmo GS1200. I did this several months ago on my GS that I have converted to 250w ELC Halogen lamp, and I was looking to see if anything was to be gained by removing them, in particular did it help reduce internal temperatures around the printed circuit boards.
    I have no hard facts to offer, in order to do a scientific study I would have to mount multiple thermocouples at various points inside the projector and run before and after tests. So what I say is just basic observation.
    The two speakers totally block any air flow into the projector from the back cover, except maybe a minor amount over a small area above the rearmost speaker, but even this is covered by a cloth mesh which kills any significant flow. The main input for air flow is the small open grill area on the bottom of the back cover. If you put your hand over that bottom grill with the projector running in FWD with lamp mode you may feel some cool air being pulled in - I could feel none. Now remove the speakers and their associated cloth grills and repeat the test in FWD with lamp mode, placing your hand around the now open speaker grills, You will feels a stream of cool external air being sucked into the projector. So what does this buy you? In one word -reliability! Electronics life and reliability is a steeply declining function of increased temperature, a few degrees cooler in temp can buy a disproportionate improvement in system reliability. All of which sounds like a tonic for the fussy GS1200.
    The other things to be gained are, a significant reduction in weight probably around 2 lbs, and no more snap crackle and pop when you are switching on and off.
    So if you never use the internal speakers, and that is me, then remove them. Your projector will thank you! And remember to keep the speakers and retaining clips safe so yo can easily pop them back in if you ever want to sell your machine. (the clips ,incidentally, are those horrible concave metal type which are a pain to remove but a snap to put back on)

I've also thought about this heat problem with film projectors. These days many lamps including vehicle headlamps seem to have all but gone over to LED's. With the LED's relative coolness, fan cooling in a projector could be scaled down, with the added bonus of possibly no damage to a film in still mode, plus - a big feature IMO - less dust circulating over the film, the mechanics and the electronics, which dust only leads to projector and film problems in the long term. Ultimately a film projector with no need for forced air cooling at all would seem like a worthy goal.

Comment

Definitely a worthy goal Tim, but unfortunately there are presently no suitable LED lamps that can come close to the brightness and concentration of a Halogen projector lamp. As you say, it would be wonderful if that day ever comes!

Comment

Working...
      X