No announcement yet.

Star Wars - Who Printed What.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Derann had the rights to this title as a feature. Not too sure myself why kempski and Cinevision keeps coming up, they had nothing to do with Star wars features . This is a fairly new print,those companies have been out of buisness for decades.
    can the seller check the leaders? there should be a clue on there.
    if its just countdown and no film stock markings then im sure that will confitm its not from a film print. Its been up for sale three times in as nany months so there must be a reason for rhat.

Comment

In the new listing for this print on ebay, there is a screenshot of the BFI certificate at the beginning, so that may give us a clue of it's origination.

Comment

Not too sure what the clue would be Osi but at the end of the day ,as long as it sells for Tony, I'm thinking he just wants shot of it now, like the other two sellers 🤣🤣 Only joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Young View Post
          Thanks Joerg. Please do tell us the other story!

I just don't know why "Kempski" and "Cineavision" are being dragged into the description of this new print.

Both were great super 8 companies from the 1980's. Long since gone and missed, but nothing to do with these new prints, wherever they come from, or what they are sourced from.

It all seems rather cloak and dagger to me. What ratio is it exactly? What was the source material? Someone knows surely? Or is it all just too dodgy to comment. In which case, why is this print out there changing hands for £600 to £900 pounds?

But Kempski and Cineavison are companies from the golden era of super 8 and nothing to do with what is happening now.

I wish all involved would stop using the names "Kempski" and "Cineavsion" when it has been clearly pointed out that this is incorrect. That's right...INCORRECT.

Good luck to all selling and buying these kind prints for hundreds of pounds without any clarification on the original source.

And kindly, when it has been pointed out that they are NOT "Kempski", please stop referring to it, as you potentially give a great company a bad name.
          Rob i put could be kempski only due to what i was told by previous sellers, im fascinated and curious myself as to where my print came from i guess no one will ever know.

Comment

The prints are from ANDEC in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Artiles View Post
              The prints are from ANDEC in Germany.
              oh interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Young View Post
                Thanks Joerg. Please do tell us the other story!
                Most of the distributors never had a printer of their own. All their prints have been made for them by external labs. E.g. UFA/ATB had their prints made in various different labs in the UK, in Italy and in Germany. And according to the Humming Projector episode 10, Derann also used an external lab. I am 90% sure that this also applies to Cineavision. If you want to know the details, then please start another thread as this has got nothing to do with the topic.

I just don't know why "Kempski" and "Cineavision" are being dragged into the description of this new print.
                Not sure about Kempski, but there are „Cineavision“-full length features and digests of SW:
                See
                https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...4;t=000518;p=1
                or
                http://www.swonvideo.com/8mm/8mmf64cineavision.htm

We are all only discussing here the possible sources of those prints: Did someone managed to get some old negatives (stored in some lab until it was dissolved)? Did someone made some new negatives from a 35mm-print? Or is someone using a video as a source? Or is this just some NOS?
                (okay, it’s more „guessing“ than discussing )

Comment

Fun fact: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ozS5xeUiz0Q

Comment

Just to clarify. If it has slight black bars to the sides it waould be "Cineavision" as that was the process for making them, not who originally produced them. The company producing them, which no longer exists was "Animex" started Dr Van Tettering IIDC.

Comment

I only know of two full features, specifically done in the Cineavision format ... Star Wars (LPP), and Empire Strikes Back ( Kodak SP ). I used to have Empire. Two drawbacks on that print. 1. Kodak SP. While the color was still pretty good, the blacks were already gone dark brown, and no one likes a dark brown space. 2. It had a good deal of negative damage and scratches at the beginning and end of each reel. Very sharp, though. They are both most definitely in the Cineavision format. It is a mystery as to who printed them. While Animex was responsible for the Cineavision style and or "Technology", I doubt that these were ever legal prints. Tettering died and from what I understand, his son took over the company. Could his son have released these? It's a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X