Reverse Projection with Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Projection with Sound

A discussion on the other universe reminded me of a time when I thought I had a good projector but really it was a thrashing machine.

The model in question was a Cinerex SU 510 projector. Apart from an ability to eat, trash and scratch film at ease . I remember having to use scrissors to remove a portion of film on a number of occasions It did have other “optional unique extras” not available to any other super 8 projectors

The two specials were that you could reverse project with light mode on and it played reverse sound track. It was sound to behold Tom & Jerry Dr Jekyll and Mr Mouse is a recommended spectacular display of this in action

The other extra was that you could pause the image on screen by holding the switch in a certain way. After awhile this 🔥 burnt a hole in the frame in question. Single burn holes in film do turn up. Cant all be smokers so others might have been doing this.

It also had recording facilities and some my early home movies had a soundtrack recorded this way.

Having a Cinerex removed the need for others to scratch your movies and basically why any films I had prior to 1982 are no longer with me. I still have on Perrys Santorini 200ft Colour Sound. The most boring travelogue in history but ideal for testing on projectors.

Mike,

Truly a projector to treasure. I can't remember if I've ever had one that played sound when in reverse. That is special!

Comment

AH, I KNOW THIS MACHINE.

Short answer - avoid it at all cost, seriously.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crx2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	91149

Long answer:
      - Plastic film gate with no spring loaded lateral guide. Image steadiness is, well, you guess it.
      - Totally enclosed film path - next to impossible to unthread the film mid-run.
      - They went as far as (very soft) plastic pulldown cam & claw arm follower. Its useful life would be measured in hours, or even minutes.
      - Had I already mentioned plastic film guide in every possible place, including audio head guide?
      - All - plastic 2 - elements zoom lens. Totally impossible to get image in focus, even at dead center.
      - In fact, as plastic as I could be.
      - The audio head stays in contact with the film all the time, no matter you are running sound or silent film.
      - There's a metal leaf spring at the lower film loop to assist the lower loop former, which is understandable. However it DOES NOT retract even when in normal projection. The result? Tons of base side scratch guaranteed.

I had it once, two of them. After realizing how evil it could be to my films I didn't waste a second pack it up, throw it away to the attic, and never let it see any light again.

PS this may come in with various names, but essentially the very same trash machine.

And once again: AVOID IT AT ALL COST!

Comment

It was an upgrade from my 1st projector a Royal projector from Mailmaster / Mountain . It didn’t even have reverse just snapped your film.

The Cinerex was a truly evil projector. I remember that film path so well even with tweezers you couldn’t get a film out without it breaking. It finally came to an end with a second hand feature copy of White Zombie / Bela Lugosi which had sprocket damage and “ sellotape splices” how kind.

It seized up. Don’t know if it was still under warranty but I did get a credit note from Lees Cameras and bought a Optimax projector which was a great upgrade but it’s electronics blew soon after that. A Bolex followed after that.

After that I discovered decent projectors. 😂😂😂.

They are still available on eBay at silly prices. Even new they were £59.99.

Comment

Working...
        X