New Kodak super 8mm camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
    I wonder, what is it that makes it's cost 1,000.00? Is it made of Titanium alloy? It looks to be plastic. Could it even be manufactured on a printer? I think it's more hilarious than anything else, but I do wonder what justifies the price, beyond it being the only new super 8 camera on the market?
    10% for R&D cost
    20% for PR & marketing
    40% for the executive's income
    and the rest is for actual manufacturing cost...

Comment

Well folks according to this interesting video review of the new camera the price is actually USD5495, have a watch its well worth it.

Comment

I think that video says it all Graham. Kodak are totally out of touch with reality here, and yes the camera does look like plastic junk. This whole thing reminds me of the Polavision fiasco, and the ill fated Pathe 4,75mm Duplex system.

Comment

The fact you can't project films that have been shot in this camera is a no in my book. The fun of Super 8 is seeing your creative work on the big screen! But it furthers the hobby so it's good in that regard.

Comment

As a Super-8 fan from when I was about 7 years old, I automatically feel a burst of happy adrenaline when somebody says they are going to do something like this. I personally love the idea...at least in principal, but I wonder how it sounds to everybody else. -the kind of people who ask me when I'm getting my film collection transferred, for example. (This happened after I did a show for them!)

Imagine there was a stockholders' meeting, and all these people are out in the seats waiting to hear how Kodak is going to bring the Company into the 21st Century. They are probably hoping to hear about a next generation digital cinema system that will vault Kodak back to the top of the audiovisual entertainment industry or maybe a medical imaging system or something similar. Many of them are probably wondering why Kodak is still making camera film at all, and this goes more than double for Super-8.

I'm sure there would be a lot more than just this, but I'm not sure the announcement of any new Super-8 camera wouldn't bring a few gasps from the crowd.

(It must have been a really great PowerPoint!)

Comment

So I read now that the camera body is made of aluminum. Ok good, a lot better than plastic for sure, but at that price point it should be the totally non-corrosive Titanium. Also, that pistol grip looks so cheap, surely they could have done a better job on something that simple!

Comment

5,000.00 dollars? When you can get even high range cameras off of eBay for 100.00 or so dollars with a lot more features ... Man! I'd love to have what they're smoking!

Comment

I'm with you Paul. We registered as media professionals at the start and not heard anything.
                  My 1976 Leicina Special has delivered superb results every time so doubt I would make a change with such a masterpiece of optical/mechanical engineering now.

​​​​​​​I did ask Kodak why put a microphone on the camera body to record camera motor noise?

Comment

Shane C. Collins I think you could still shoot reversal with it, but when you project it, some of the picture area exposed by the camera would be masked by the projector gate (unless you modified the projector gate for ultra wide). I would expect that the viewfinder has the ability to turn on framelines for conventional 4:3 super 8 to help with composition. If it doesn't, then that's a problem.

To be honest, half the fun of shooting film is 100% optical viewfinders. As you mentioned, LCD panels are often impossible to view under very bright conditions. So the lack of an optical finder kinda sucks.

I think Kodak's 2nd big miss was not offering film/lab/scanning packages for consumers.

Comment

The viewfinder is configurable in multiple aspect ratios. (See the manual that Doug links in Post #2)

One of the unsung benefits of an optical viewfinder is the shooter's ability to steady the camera with your face!

Comment

One of the new Kodak Super 8 cameras is up for sale at $8,000.00, in used condition. Better act fast before it gets snapped up!

https://www.sharegrid.com/products/7...mmunity=signin

Comment

Don't laugh too fast! There are a lot of dummy's out there with far too few brain cells, but lots of available cash!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                            One of the new Kodak Super 8 cameras is up for sale at $8,000.00, in used condition. Better act fast before it gets snapped up!

https://www.sharegrid.com/products/7...mmunity=signin
                            Ridiculous for a camera that looks like a camcorder, LOL. That and the fact you can't then use the footage to watch on a projector. Super 8 is Super 8 not 35 MM. This is more like a $400 dollar camera. I probably wouldn't even buy it for that considering its limitations for digital use only.

Comment

That and the fact you can't then use the footage to watch on a projector.
                              Am I missing something here. Can't you use Ektacrome 100D with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sinden View Post
                                Am I missing something here. Can't you use Ektacrome 100D with this?
                                Yes you most certainly can, but they widen the gate for digital transfers. So if you tried watching the final movie on a projector, the image would be cut off top and bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended-Gate_Super_8_Camera.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	93559

Comment

Working...
                                X