No announcement yet.

Set the high limit for speed control on Eumig 709

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay here's another mystery. My Eumig 802 has a film cutter. Should the end of the leader be trimmed the same way or does the 709 require a different shape to guarantee success with auto threading?

I have had a couple of thread attempts fail because the leader got all jammed up right at the point where it's supposed to be pushed into the gate but got stuck for whatever reason.

Comment

I recommend a straight cut through a perforation. So you have a half of a perforation being fed into the machine. It could be your leader too. How'd you make out with the speed issue?

Comment

Todd here is the cut Eumig recommended for the early Eumig projectors. Try doing this to see if it eases threading to the gate. I'm betting it's two things: Old shrunken leader, and the wrong cut at the beginning of the leader. These Eumig's are generally the easiest to load as you probably saw in my above video. Now I am also using a newer leader film that is very durable, and cut correctly. Out of how many films are you having loading issues? Is it every film or only certain ones? Also have you tried a Super 8 film shot at 18 fps to verify the speed? I would also assume your loading issues are with much older films shot on Standard 8, which at this point would have a very old leader?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-20 2.23.01 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	92390

Comment

That's pretty much how I've been doing it. I think the problems I had were due to ancient shrunken acetate leader--especially on the reg. 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Kitchen View Post
            That's pretty much how I've been doing it. I think the problems I had were due to ancient shrunken acetate leader--especially on the reg. 8.
            Well it's what we suspected all along and advice from Joseph Banfield. How's the speed? I bet the old Standard 8 films are not 18 fps?

Comment

I haven't had time to mess with it over the last few days; busy with work, but this weekend I'm going to revisit the calibration issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Kitchen View Post
                I haven't had time to mess with it over the last few days; busy with work, but this weekend I'm going to revisit the calibration issue.
                Just remember if you need to adjust the 50/60 cycle flag it adjusts for both 18 and 24 fps at the same time. So I strongly recommend you use a known Super 8 film that is 18 fps since most Standard 8 are 16 fps. And of course use a known sound film that plays at 24 fps. I only say this because the speed was accurate at the time I tested it. However older films can be all over the place speed wise. I have faith it's just a film issue at this point. Keep us updated! I hope otherwise you are enjoying the 709 they are a real workhorse, and a joy to use!

Comment

Working...
                X