No announcement yet.

Can you ever have too many projectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you ever have too many projectors?

I seem to be a magnet for projectors, currently there are 14 from a Eumig S905 back to a Brownie Eight-58, oh and thats not including the Bell and Howell 601 sitting in the store shed waiting to come in

That sounds like me and my 16mm projectors. It all started out as me wanting to make a hobby out of fixing up old projectors and the goal was to have 2 working machines that matched. I first bought a DOA singer graphlex for $12 dollars US and gave it a good cleaning and lubrication found some missing mounting screws for the power supply and fixed the detached power cable. So then I found another Singer that worked for a while but then the audio board gave out. So then I bought 2 Broken Eiki Projectors, got one fully restored from the parts donor machine. Next I found a Elmo for $30 that Needs a new set of rollers. I set it aside for now. Finally I bought a working Bell & Howell 1585 and like it alot for it's dependability but it's not the quietest machine out there. Right now I'm thinking that I want to restore another Eiki Projector and sell all the rest of them.

Comment

Nope!

11 GS 1200

3. GS 800

3. ST 1200 HD

2. ST 1200 D

2 x 2592 new worms

2 x 1590 new worms

2 x SSL EIKI rebuilt complete

ALL WITH OPTICAL
      SOME NEEDING CRUCIAL TUNE UPS

6 are dependable & can be used
      4 are setup ready to play

this is what happens when you never give up and you own over 400 features to play keeping in mind I've been collecting sound film and equipment for over 40 years

Comment

No, there is always room for just one more projector!

Comment

Short answer ... Yes. We have a fine house now, but there are limitations. Now, once the kiddies are gone?! More storage!!!

Comment

When you can't get in the front door for projectors you have too many!!!

Comment

To quote my wife: „Yes!!!!“

But I am not really sure as I still haven’t tested it (only 4 S8 projectors).

Comment

Well I can still get to the front door and even into the room where all the kit is kept so I'm fine for now Currently I have Eumig 810D, S712D, P8, S905, Mark 610D, 2 x DL, Brownie Eight-58, Norris Record L100, Bauer T10R Auto, Brownie 8 A-15G, Cinerex SU-510 and finally a Bolex M8 that looks like new but sadly the auction house lost its mains lead, something which should be sorted soon

Comment

I actually try to keep my number of machines down. I consider a new-to-me projector an unknown quantity and they go through a lot of checking-out before I'll run a print that I care about. It's like the idea of lending my car to a stranger: I have no idea what damage they will do to it, so the idea doesn't sit at all well! So in Super-8, it's basically just 4 trusted machines, all with low-mileage guides and well-maintained film paths. 16mm I'm still at just one, so there is some room for growth there.

Parts machines are another matter: each runner has at least one donor machine and a small stash of spare parts I grab as oportunities present themselves.

Display machines? As long as they look nice, but If I get any more, I will have to put one in my office, so that is at level: sufficient!

I had to put one display machine in active duty recently (Regular-8 film). The joy of it is it's so simple that it woke up from hibernation quite nicely: just some lube and cleaning.

Comment

To coin a phrase, I think it is everyone to everyone's own. Some people need stacks, others don't. It is just opinion and choice which means there is no right or wrong amount.

On my part, not being mechanically / electrically minded, if a machine packs up and it is not an obvious problem (new belt / new fuse ) then I am stuffed. Having entered my 6th decade, I realize that I have realistically another 20* to 25* years left on the planet, hopefully, so I have stockpiled enough projectors, in my opinion, to get me there. Mostly Sankyo's and Bell & Howell's which, as you know, are real quality work horses !

* Looking on the bright side.... that is a hell of a lot of Blackpool's !

Comment

Bolex 18-5
                      Bolex 18-5L
                      Eumig 960
                      Sankyo Sound 720
                      Sankyo Sound 500

Plus a couple of old MovieStuff crap.

Comment

Come to think of it, we could put up our kids for adoption?! (Pause). This bit of highly insensitive humor bought to you by Osi Osgood. Please mail any brand new Eumig 900 on up models to Osi Osgood, care of .....

Comment

Working...
                        X