How to Buy a Super 8 Film Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Buy a Super 8 Film Camera

Are you interested in buying a Super 8 camera, but you have been unable to find a spare $6000 to purchase Kodak's latest? There are lots of used cameras available for sale online, but you might me reluctant to try one out. Below is a video that presents lots of useful advice for anyone considering purchasing a used Super 8 camera.

I have generally found most cameras from eBay can be hit or miss. Most of the ones I've purchased this way have worked. Only needing basic cleaning, and battery compartment reconditioning, etc. It also helps to ask the seller questions, such as does the camera turn on. It's also important to find out if the light meter is responding to light. The Elmo Super 110 I now use, for most home movies, worked perfectly with nothing needed but basic cleaning. It fires up every time, and even the light meter works in auto mode. I've also discovered, over the years, it can come down to manufactures and how well they constructed the Super 8 camera. Certain cameras seem to fail at some point, and trends can be seen in this regard. The more expensive cameras also seem to require more than basic maintenance to keep them functional, I try to avoid them for this reason. There's no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a camera you may only pick up once and a while. The Elmo Super 110 I mentioned takes Super 8 to the next level in terms of sharpness, and contrast. My current Ektachrome home movies just sparkle on screen! I paid maybe $150 about 10 years ago. The camera continues to purr a long with no struggles. I did lubricate the internal gears which wasn't hard to do.

Anyways, the price of the new Kodak camera coming out is way overpriced for a format like Super 8. Sure you can get some awesomely sharp images with current color reversal film. But, in the end is it worth spending thousands for this format? I shoot Super 8 for home movie use, and then project those movies to family and friends. Even if I had the spare money to buy this new Kodak camera, I couldn't even use it with modern color reversal for projection. The gate has been widened for digital format only. That takes the fun out of Super 8 in my opinion. I realize as someone who likes to shoot Super 8, then project, puts me in the minority. Most people today never use a projector, or see any Super 8 this way. That's OK though, I will continue to project my films and enjoy all the benefits that others will never have the opportunity to do.... Happy Projecting Everyone....

Comment

Does Elmo Super 110 have an extended movie channel in the audio track area?

Comment

Originally posted by Vitali Vadim View Post
        Not sure I understand your question? But I can tell you the Super 110 has a wider gate area. this is an advantage when copying the full Super 8 frame to digital. So in other words the final cut would include the image near the sprocket holes in near widescreen format. However, when watching Super 8 on a projector you would not notice the wider format. Although holding the film up to some light, you can clearly see how wide it is. The Elmo Super 110 actually has a wider area at the gate than the Nikon R10, a much more popular camera.

Also remember the Super 110 is a silent only camera, no sound. This camera was sold from 1972 until about 1975.

Click image for larger version  Name:	r0vep4f9e3s41.webp Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	92985
        Last edited by Shane C. Collins; December 19, 2023, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitali Vadim View Post
          No, it sticks to the one and only Super8 standard. Those cameras with the „extended gate“ (called „superduper8“ by its inventors and „max8“ by Pro8mm/Logmar/Kodak) violate this standard. And the „extended gate“ only makes sense when you only want to telecine your films (in a special telecine that supports this and doesn’t scratch the additional area used for the image).

Comment

From Kodak’s website…
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X