Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Super 8 releases - No balance stripe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Super 8 releases - No balance stripe ?

Is it true that the new Super 8 releases on the market have no balance stripe? I seem to remember it being mentioned. I presume this is to keep costs down, however, I have owned a couple of films in the past, one from Walton which was the same and the print will struggle to remain flat in the gate and will be harder to keep in focus. Given the potential effects to projection I would consider omitting this balance stripe to be a false economy.

Hi Phil

Yes the new prints do not have the balance strip. It has been a cost saving effort, plus they were having trouble with stripping the balance strip from what I have been told. So that is why only the main stripe. I have heard that only having one strip doesn't effect the pictire or take up, but, I can't see how it would not. Hmmmm. For me, if I am going to get a new print and I want the balance strip so it can be in stereo if it's a stereo title.

I have spoken to Steve Osborne of the The Reel Image, the producers of the prints are working on doing the balance strip once again and prints would then be recorded in stereo if the tracks are in stereo. There is no time frame on when and if the prints will get the second strip. I do know some collectors that have received prints with only the main stripe and say they are beautiful along with the sound!

Hope this helps and happy holidays.
    Ken

Comment

While I prefer having a balance stripe for audio purposes, the laminate stripe used for the main track is so thin and light that I find it really makes no difference in the film gate, unlike back in the day of paste stripe. Having projected some of the single track new releases on a large screen I've found no issue with focus. As Ken mentioned, those involved in new releases are working towards the return of the balance stripe for stereo playback.

Comment

At times, the main stripe is so thin, that you can actually see through the stripe, which means it is layered on in a very light manner. I noticed this on my Star Wars 600ft,band it may be part of the reason the audio was so low. Beautiful image quality, however .

Comment

Working...
        X