Film and your history ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film and your history ...

I find it quite interesting, and not so surprising, that many a super 8 collector, has some history, centered around either film projection, or even some history with the actual film-making business. Therefore, if you would like, please give some of what made you want to collect super 8, some of your history. For me, it was my dad actually being a projectionist. Though not actually involved in the film-making, let's face it, if there were no projectionists, the movie stars wouldn't shine

Among my friends at CineSea, I'm actually kind of an outlier: a lot of them have ties into the media industry: several cameramen, at least one theatrical projectionist, at least one actor. Several of them have either had or still have radio programs.

I'm just an electronics guy who happened to wander in! (They bring better film-stories, but I bring a volt-meter!)

-so my history is more personal: the family across the street had 8mm home movies and when I was a little kid I thought these were an invention just a little better than penicillin! (I was in Kindergarten: What did I know?!).

My first paycheck from my first part-time job bought me a movie camera.
    Last edited by Steve Klare; December 25, 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I'm much like Steve Klare, no professional ties to Super 8. My journey started as a kid in the late 70's. My uncle had a Super 8 camera, and made many films. We would watch these films at the Grandparents. It was an event we all looked forward to once the projector was set up. Years passed and I had forgotten about Super 8 for the most part. In 2005 I decided to buy a Standard 8 camera, a Bolex S1. I made my first film, then had it processed, and returned. What I saw on the screen made me fall in love with film. In 2005 Kodachrome was discontinued, and so I only shot some of it on Standard 8. In 2006 I switched to Super 8, and began shooting Ektachrome 64T. Today I continue to shoot Super 8 film on the modern Ektachrome stock 7294. It's still a thrill to get a film back after processing, and to watch it for the first time. It's then you realize you either got it right, or epic fail. After years of practice I have found I usually get it right...

Comment

Working...
      X