Bolex 18-5L Super projector question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex 18-5L Super projector question?

I am on the lookout for the second generation Bolex 18-5L Super that uses the auto-threading push down button (refer to photo below). The first generation Super used a 50 watt spaceman bulb. In late 1967 or 68 Bolex updated the model to the 18-5L Super. They also incorporated a 75 watt spaceman bulb, then to a halogen upgrade. I've seen various 2nd gen Super's for sale in the UK, but they are 50 cycle and not 60 cycles. So what makes these projectors 50 cycle and not 60 cycle? Is it the pulley system that could change one of these from 50 cycles to 60? I would buy a 50 cycles projector if I thought it was any easy change over to make it run at 60 cycles. The third generation 18-5L Super uses the selector switch to activate the auto-threading, which I am not a fan of. But trying to find the 2nd generation Super here in the U.S. is proving to be difficult. In the bottom photo you will see I drew an orange arrow to show the auto feed push down button style I am looking for. The other smaller inserted photo shows the auto feed I don't care for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	il_1140xN.5092641571_3kwr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	93438

Hi Shane, and Happy New Year!
    The original standard 8 18-5 was sold as a version 1 for 50Hz and a version 2 for 60 hz. So clearly there was some kind of physical difference in the machines to enable usage on the correct mains frequency. The machines did have different transformer settings, Series 1 for 50hz mains has tapings available at 110-125-160-220=240v and series 2 for 60Hz has tapings at 110-117.5-125-180-230v. but no adjustment for frequency was available for the user. Most likely, as you suggest, there was an internal mechanical difference in the pulley diameters in the drive system.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
      Hi Shane, and Happy New Year!
      The original standard 8 18-5 was sold as a version 1 for 50Hz and a version 2 for 60 hz. So clearly there was some kind of physical difference in the machines to enable usage on the correct mains frequency, nothing that could be implemented by the user (which is the case on the Eumig projectors). The machines DID did have different transformer sttings, Series 1 for 50hz mains has tapings available at 110-125-160-220=240v and series 2 for 60Hz has tapings at 110-117.5-125-180-230v. but no adjustment for frequency was available for the user. Most likely, as you suggest, there was an internal mechanical difference in the pulley diameters in the drive system.
      Thanks Paul for answering my question! I suspect I will need to wait until a 2 generation Super comes up for sale here in the U.S. The later version is easy to find, but I am not fond of its loading system. The push down lever is much more reliable. The auto loading channel is also kinder to film then the later system. I have a 2 gen Standard 8 Automatic 18-5 with the push down mechanism, and it loads perfectly every time. Of course that design is semi auto loading. The 2 gen Super is full automatic loading, but it's mech is the same in principle to the Standard 8 version. The hunt continues I guess! Happy New Year Paul!

Comment

Ran my original Reg 8mm 18-5 this morning. Such a beautiful looking and high quality machine, and so quiet and smooth running. The manual threading is super easy, makes you wonder why they bothered at all with auto threading.

Comment

Ran my original Reg 8mm 18-5 this morning. Such a beautiful looking and high quality machine, and so quiet and smooth running. The manual threading is super easy, makes you wonder why they bothered at all with auto threading.
          What also impresses me about these early 18-5's is the fact they can sit for months, or even years, and fire right up. It's a testament to their build quality! Other than a belt change, nothing ever seems to go wrong with these superb machines! If only they had carried over the manual threading to the Super 8 machines. I like the partial auto loading of the second generation Regular 8 machine, which carried over somewhat to the Super 8 version. The push down lever of this generation works well, and never a hiccup. But, the redesign on the third gen Super 8 auto threading is a pain, and often jams the film. For that reason, I took my 18-5L Super out of rotation for watching home movies. However, a second gen Super 8 machine with the push down lever would be a better option, since that design carried over from the second gen Regular 8 machine. If I wanted to I could remove the film channel just past the second sprocket, so the machine operates like the earlier projectors. I may do that if I can locate a second gen Super 8.

Comment

Paul, in case you're wondering what makes the second generation Super better than the third, here's a photo to show you. In the larger photo you'll see I circled the auto loading film guides. These earlier designed ones have a better taper which allows the film to enter the gate more reliably. The guides are tapered in a straight line on either end. The second gen Regular 18-5 is the same design as well. In the smaller photo you will see the third gen Super with different guides that are controlled by the selector switch. But, these are not tapered in the same way the original Super was. This design allows the film to sometimes bunch up and jam before the gate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_20_18-5-L-Super-(before-1970)_1688027595614.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	93495

Comment

If only they had carried over the manual threading to the Super 8 machines.
              Marketing pressures I suspect Shane. Super 8 was pitched as easy movie making for the masses, and every one was producing automated cameras and auto threading projectors. The appreciation of the advantages of manual threading cameras and projectors were left far behind.

Comment

Marketing pressures I suspect Shane. Super 8 was pitched as easy movie making for the masses, and every one was producing automated cameras and auto threading projectors. The appreciation of the advantages of manual threading cameras and projectors were left far behind.
                I agree with you 100%! I'm not against automatic threading if it works every time without mishaps. But, I have found over the years, only a handful of projectors can do this correctly. When I started collecting Eumig's I found out quickly which ones worked well, and which did not. Those that didn't became parts machines pretty quickly, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                X