Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Film Quality

Greetings my dear film friends!

I was wanting to ask all that have copies of the feature 2010:The Year We Make Contact, how has the image quality held up for your print over the years? It's a movie I enjoy a lot, but don't know if I want to hunt down a copy later down the road.

Thanks!
    Lincoln

I have a partial print, reels 1,2 and 4 out of four, and the strange thing is that you really don't miss that reel 3. Most of the exciting stuff happens in the other reels, (they are 600ft reels). In my personal opinion, the quality level is better than the DVD. My specific print is on Agfa film stock, and the colors are absolutely gorgeous and very saturated, none of that slightly bluish caste that you can get with LPP. It is very sharp, and really looks great on that big scope screen

Comment

John Clancy talks about 2001 and 2010 in the video below. He mentions his S8 print of 2010 by Cineavision.

Nov 7, 2021
      An analysis of the ending of the events in 2001: A Space Odyssey and how the sequel 2010 The Year We Make Contact makes sense of it all. 2010 was based on Arthur C. Clarke's follow-up novel and it is apparent Clarke had a good comprehension of what went on in Stanley Kubrick's 1968 masterpiece. In this video you will see references to 70mm film, 35mm, Super 8 and 4K UHD Blu-ray disc as well as standard Blu-ray disc.

Comment

It would be interesting to compare the original Kempski prints, and the later Derann prints of the same title. This is one of those films that demands the widescreen film presentation, over a large screen or 4K tv, in my opinion. The larger of the 4K tvs can be pretty good, but a large, widescreen film presentation is much more immersive, but same can be said of many scope prints as well. Compare Star Wars on a large 4K tv, and then watching the same last battle sequences, the death star trenches for instance. By the way, I wonder if John is referring to the Cineavision 2001, as, 2001 was a Cineavision feature print, but I don't recall a Cineavision print of 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
          It would be interesting to compare the original Kempski prints, and the later Derann prints of the same title. This is one of those films that demands the widescreen film presentation, over a large screen or 4K tv, in my opinion. The larger of the 4K tvs can be pretty good, but a large, widescreen film presentation is much more immersive, but same can be said of many scope prints as well. Compare Star Wars on a large 4K tv, and then watching the same last battle sequences, the death star trenches for instance. By the way, I wonder if John is referring to the Cineavision 2001, as, 2001 was a Cineavision feature print, but I don't recall a Cineavision print of 2010.
          You are correct Osi, the Cineavision print was of 2001, not 2010. He shows his 2010 S8 print, but does not mention who released it. Yes, I would not watch a 'flat' version of this movie. The larger the screen, the better, but scope is a minimum requirement. Hopefully it will be released in 4k soon.

Comment

Actually John says that it is 2001 that he has a a Cineavision print of and shows the Cineavision logo projected, it isn't a low fade print!!!. The boxes shown for 2010 show Kempski's name on the boxes, so I assume it is the original printing, not one of Derann's later ones.

Comment

I always wish I had got the feature on Super8 but it was very expensive. The film itself we first watched it at the cinema and thought it was a good follow on from 2001. I did buy the blu-ray a few years back but was disappointed in some of the special space effects, they looked terrible.

Although I don't have the Super 8 feature, I do feel that if those same effects are of the same quality as the 35mm print I have, then its a good one and sell the blu-ray which I did, and that's something I don't usually do, anyway this is some of the Super8 advertising stuff that I still have. Regarding this video link below the 35mm print is really something. I never get bored screening it.

2010 is a film we don't hear much about, never did. Apart from Osi anyone else have it on Super8?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030376.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	93641

Name:	P1030378.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	93642

Name:	P1030379.jpg