wonderful world of 8mm editor/viewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wonderful world of 8mm editor/viewers

I've only used two in my life. The Elmo 912 (dual format) and the one that I have now: a Hervice Minette S-5. I can't remember much about the Elmo other than the screen was bigger and the picture was dimmer and "softer" than the Minette, which has a razor sharp image....check it out...
    in case anyone wonders about the apparent "wide" aspect ratio, this iPhone snap was taken with the film at rest. Depending on where the shutter is, sometimes you have crank the film just a bit further to open up the shutter all the way. What you're seeing here is the shutter only open about 3/4 of the way. There's also a bit of distortion around the edges that may or not be exaggerated by whatever setting the iPhone was using. In fact I may have accidentally been shooting in "portrait" mode, which we all know is a digital hack to simulate shallow depth of field/focus and the resulting bokeh.

I've used iPhone in normal mode to take still frames from Super8 footage by pointing it at the Minette screen (in a pitch black room to avoid reflections). The sharpness is uniform edge to edge. The resulting pictures are incredibly grainy because it picks up the full ground glass focussing screen PLUS the grain of the camera original. But scaled down they look good. I'll post an example later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0934.png Views:	0 Size:	855.3 KB ID:	93743
    Last edited by Todd Kitchen; January 04, 2024, 02:56 PM.

That's incredibly sharp, being that the image is coming off of a editor! Good job on that photography.

Comment

I didn't do the original super8 photography on that one--it's found footage from a high school art class late 70s. That particular shot was well exposed and in focus--a lot of the footage from that batch most certainly was not.

Comment

Working...
      X