Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Sound on Super 8, Is It possible ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a more serious note I am all for this idea of digital sound on super 8 but I do have some concerns.

In my setup at home I use Dolby Pro Logic with analog stereo RCA red/white connections. There are several switch boxes each having their own job in moving the sound. The idea of digital sound would mean down converting to analog. Perhaps it might sound better but the real question is by how much. And I am not in a position to try and switch to HDMI. It would be very expensive for me to do it and I might not be able to run the shows the way I do now. You know I favor changeovers and I would never give up on those.

Someone mentioned putting a time code of some sort on the balance stripe. It would mean taking a current stereo recorded print and defaulting to mono on the main stripe. This is a no go for me as well.

The way I have it now, the sound can be awesome depending on the true original lab recording. Even a Charlie Chaplin film short can have good bass and treble when pushing 250 watts though the center channel with a little bass through left and right. Not that it runs that high but what the amp is rated at.

This is a clever idea going forward and if it works and is simple based for operation I remain interested.

CG

Comment

Working...
    X