Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to run regular 8mm film on a Sankyo 600 Sound 8mm/Super 8mm projector

Hello!

I have a Sankyo 600 Sound projector that says 8mm/super 8mm on the machine, but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to run regular 8mm sound through the thing. I have the manual but it doesn't address the standard 8mm film run. If anyone has the decoder ring on this situation I would be eternally grateful! Thank you all for such great info in this forum!
    Deb

Welcome Deb.

A quick Google of the Sankyo 600 manual shows it has super 8 / single 8 on the cover.

Single 8 was a version of 8mm film designed for cameras by Fuji that used a different cartridge system, but the resultant film was super 8 specification so would run fine in a super 8 projector.

Some projector manufacturers badged them as super 8 / single 8 to indicate that single 8 would run ok on them.

It’s not the same as the older Standard 8 / Normal 8 unfortunately, which as you probably know has a different size of sprocket holes and frame area.

Of course standard / normal 8 was known as simply 8mm until super 8 / single 8 arrived!

A bit confusing, but I don’t think the Sankyo 600 is a “dual gauge” projector, ie. one that can handle both super 8 and standard 8.
    Last edited by Rob Young; January 09, 2024, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I have two Sankyo 600 projectors and can verify what Rob says that this model projector is super 8 only.

Comment

Thank you both so much! Good to know that I wasn't missing something there! It's a fabulous machine for Super 8, but I have some old 8mm sound films that I wanted to run. From what I've read, the Eumig 824 is the coveted machine for dual, but those are not readily available. I was looking at maybe an old Kodak 8mm sound that I could add to my projector collection. Thank you again for your responses!
        Deb

Comment

Working...
        X