Spike Lee - "New York, New York" on Super 8mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Lee - "New York, New York" on Super 8mm

Maybe I'm just being picky, but personally I think this film looks pretty lousy. The grain is obnoxious and the camera has poor optics, but what really kills me is how fake the colors look. Anyone know who did the scan on this?

Actual video HERE

May 8, 2020

Spike Lee’s Latest Short Film Is a 3-Minute Instagram Tribute to New York City

By
    Chris Murphy

Oscar winner and lifelong Knicks fan Spike Lee put his talents to good use and debuted a new short film titled “NEW YORK NEW YORK” on his Instagram on Thursday night dedicated to his beloved New York City. “My Short Film-NEW YORK NEW YORK Is A Love Letter To It’s People,” Spike Lee wrote in his Instagram caption. “Plain And Simple. Special Love Shout To Ms. TINA SINATRA, SONY/ATV,KERWIN DEVONISH (Camera), ADAM GOODE (Editor), TIM STACKER And KODAK For The Super 8 Film And Cameras.” The Spike Lee joint, is set to Frank Sinatra’s classic tune of the same name and showcases many classic New York City haunts. The Cony Island ferris wheel, the Statue of Liberty, Yankee Stadium, and our beloved subway all get their moment in the sun courtesy of Spike and his team before the movie shifts and focuses on New Yorkers. Lee captures men and women wearing masks in line at the pharmacy, nurses and doctors in scrubs standing outside the hospital, and citizens holding up signs of support for our health-care workers. Who else other than the director of Crooklyn and Do the Right Thing could create a three-minute video about New York City that packs such an emotional punch? Somebody get Spike Lee on TikTok so he can really let loose.

There are many things I like about this. Considering who made it, I would think the look is a deliberate choice. A slick and glossy look would definitely work against the message. What bothers me is how soft the image is.

Doug

Comment

I was invited to show a film in front of a group once. The Emcee made this introduction: "It's Super-8: you know: Blur, scratches, specks, and flicker". (Jeeze! Thanks!). It's just the way people are educated.

One of my nicest Blackhawks took him to school that day!

If they'd wanted a razor sharp, pristine image, it would have been of no benefit to either use Super-8, or especially say they were using Super-8. This was the look they wanted, even if they had to help it along a little.

I saw a scene Spike Lee missed. Easter Sunday we went into Brooklyn and drove past a hospital. This time there were refrigerated trailers out front. It made no sense until two men rolled a coffin out of the building.
      Last edited by Steve Klare; May 09, 2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The scan was done by Pro8mm.

Comment

It doesn't look too bad, but I've seen super 8 home movies that are sharper. I shot in the late 80's early 90's super 8 both Kodachrome and Ektachrome, (Kodachrome was certainly less grainy in my opinion), and I used my anamorphic lense, securely duct taped (no kidding) to my camera. We went up to Yellowstone, and I was truly surprised as to just how sharp[ and good it looked. Mind you, i have never shot 16MM home movies.

Comment

The you-tube link does not appear to be as good as the second link Brad provided in red. The quality of video up-loads I think in general, seems to be better on Vimeo.

Any idea the Super 8 camera used?

Comment

I'd be interested in learning the camera and film stock he used. While there are some parts I like about it, the more glaring issue for me is also how soft and washed the image looks in some areas.

Comment

Working...
              X