Phono Films on super 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phono Films on super 8?

OK, did Blackhawk Films, or any other super 8 companies, release any of the Lee Deforest "Phono Films" from the mid 1920's? For the uninitiated, four years before "The Jazz Singer", Lee Deforest released sound film shorts. In fact, Max Fleischer was involved in these, and released the first synchronized sound cartoons, four years before "Steamboat Willie". So, anybody release any of these?

Glenn Photo Supply released three films from the De Forest PhonoFilm series (all from 1923):
    • Casey At The Bat
    • Bard and Pearl
    • Cohen On The Telephone
    Initially (like most of the GPS offerings) they were released in 16mm, but I don't know if they made it down to any other formats.

Comment

In 1919, American inventor Lee De Forest was awarded several patents that would lead to the first optical sound-on-film technology with commercial application. In De Forest's system, the sound track was photographically recorded on to the side of the strip of motion picture film to create a composite, or "married", print. If proper synchronization of sound and picture was achieved in recording, it could be absolutely counted on in playback. Over the next four years, he improved his system with the help of equipment and patents licensed from another American inventor in the field, Theodore Case.

Lee De Forest sound films with Eddie Cantor singing a song about 'Georgie Porgie' and black vaudeville act Sissle and Blake who sing 'Snappy songs'. One sings , the other accompanies on piano.
      More Eddie Cantor - humorous monologue and songs​
      I don't any De Forest films. The oldest print I own is a hundred foot 16mm double perf digest of Steamboat Willie from the 1930's.

Comment

Working...
      X