Scope setup for Elmo ST100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope setup for Elmo ST100?

I was thinking about checking out some Cinemascope prints at some point. I have an Elmo ST100 (and a couple of Sankyo's). Obviously I'd need a special lens, but other than that, I have no idea how to configure everything for scope viewing. Any advice? Thanks!

Traditionally, anamorphic lenses have a 2x squeeze, meaning that lenses capture twice the amount of horizontal information than a spherical lens. When stretched, a 2x anamorphic lens used with standard 35mm film yields a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, commonly referred to as CinemaScope, or simply "Scope." The desire for wider aspect ratios is what drove the popularity of anamorphic lenses in the film industry. In order to capture the same 2.39:1 aspect ratio with spherical lenses, it meant cropping, or ”masking” the top and bottom of each frame, thus sacrificing vertical resolution.
    I have a Kowa Prominar 8-Z lens (2x squeeze) that I used for my S8 camera and projector. The lenses are very expensive ($400 or so), but you may find a used one from a collector that does not realize these lenses remain popular with photographers.

Your biggest challenge will be in finding or making a lens mount for your projector. Search this forum for suggestions.

Comment

I bought this years ago and use it for mostly 16mm showings.

Free standing adapter: https://van-eck.net/en/product/gener...nses_32_-75mm/

On my Elmo GS I use an adapter that screws into the utility hole in front. I bought mine from Wittner but had to make an adapter to make it tighter around my lens to hold it.

https://van-eck.net/en/product/lens_...orphic_lenses/

There is another website but don't remember what it was. Maybe some others can chime in.

Comment

Hi Larry,

Maybe you are thinking of FFR Filmtechnik?

Anamorphic Lens Holders

I bought two of these and am very pleased with them. They are simple and rugged and well made. They are made to order: you need to send them the diameter of the lens where it passes through the clamp.

I dealt with them about 5 years ago and they had only recently started accepting PayPal.

Don't let that webpage intimidate you: If you email Ralf, the owner, he speaks English. (-basically everyone in Germany does!)

Comment

Thank you Steve that was it.

Comment

When you are on a budget, you can also get yourself a „lab stand“ with some adjustable clamps. They are less stable etc. than FFR‘s solution, but are working well enough - especially when you don’t have a permanent home cinema and are only watching something in scope 2-3 times per year.

A lab stand with such a clamp (IMHO too expensive - Chinese products are available for less than 30€ including shipping in Germany):
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/314696078131
            One of those cheap stands (but without proper clamp):
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/403988682038

Comment

Right now I’m actually more interested in finding an appropriate and “affordable” lens. Are there any particular specifications I need to be aware of, or would anything declared as anamorphic suffice?

Comment

Hi Dave.
                The majority of anamorphic projection lenses need to be focused separately to the main projection lens.
                For the use with super 8 you will need an anamorphic lens that has been designed for ether super 8 or 16mm, as this will allow for the focal length to be used in a home environment or a small hall.
                All of these lenses are marked somewhere with a 16 or a 16D, normally on the outer barrel.
                Anamorphic lenses design for 35mm cinema will not work with super 8 unless you have long throw to the screen. The majority will have a minimum of 10 meter focal length. These are large and heavy, as they were designed to be threaded onto the backing lens on the projector.
                Unless you are very lucky to be in the right place at the right time these will come at a price, as there is still a demand for them with film makers, as well as being used on digital projectors.
                Steve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240209_134943.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	95890

Comment

Very helpful information Steve. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X