Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still not giving up on the argus projector.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not giving up on the argus projector.

Hey. All I have an argus m500 projector. And I recently took it apart and removed the old grease and used new grease. The motor spins now once its turned on and forward and reverse seem to work too. I leave a loop above and below the film gate but it almost immediately gets sucked in and then the tension becomes too tight for the film and I pull the tape out. I tried upload a 4 second video of this, but the server did not let. I'm not really seeingba way to adjust this and don't know what's wrong. Any help is appreciated. Added is picture of the projector pulling the film.

Hi Joshua... Upload your video to YouTube then place a link in the forum thread. I had this same issue with a Keystone 109 projector. The bottom loop just tightened up and I never was not able to solve it. Maybe someone has an idea on what causes it.

Comment

Hi. Good idea. Here is the link to the video. There is only one or two parts that I haven't been able to take apart and remove the old grease. I might try to do some more work on it. The machine is so well made, I'd love to fix it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HXfbKYJOW...r81IjMVVjOnc75

Comment

Just my two cents but the bottom spindles are moving slightly faster than the tops ones hence the film is pulled tight underneath before the top can keep up. There is probably a lot of old grease on the top sprockets that is keeping them from spinning as freely as the bottom ones or maybe some belts that are tighter than others. Not sure how the mechanics on this unit are.

Comment

Could the bottom sprocket be slipping on its axle and the film just being pulled from the power of the takeup reel? If that is the case look for what is causing the sprocket to slip on the axle it is attached to.
          Last edited by Joseph Banfield; February 12, 2024, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I just checked and there are no slipping sprockets. I took apart this top sprocket all the way and removed the old grease and put new grease and the problem still occurred.

Today, I removed the belt that leads to the spool and it works perfectly. Here is the video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/kxhlrWg6H...gPmRaXn7Y56_cc

Unfortunately, leaving it like this would mean no rewinding. Is there anyway to soften up old belts like this? I will try to reduce more of the tension on this top sprocket too.

Comment

Well, I decided to take apart the last parts that I haven't already done. That was a bit scary at first, but I removed all of the grease and used new grease. Took about 2 hours. Well, the projector is working perfectly fine now!

Comment

That's great news!

Comment

Wow. Great Job. No left over parts either lol.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I'm grateful about that. It was intimidating but fun and rewarding to get this projector back up and running.

Comment

Working...
                    X