Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey: The Last Valley (1971) as a possible feature release (Full Length)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey: The Last Valley (1971) as a possible feature release (Full Length)

We’re not talking here of something confirmed in any way but we have just found out after several attempts a full 35mm Scope reduction print of the beautiful 1971 epic 70mm cult movie “The Last Valley”. It was released abridged and pan and scanned decades ago by ABC and most prints are faded. This film has not had a better luck with its home video releases: DVDs of it are all awful looking and even the two Bluray editions released worldwide (US and Spain) are lacking. This 35mm print is beautiful with very little wear and complete (125 min.) and, a first, is in Stereo. It could make for a superb S8 full feature in Cineavision (to avoid any vertical cropping) and Stereo on 4 x 180 meters reels. We would provide the following audio options to begin with: Original English plus Italian, Castilian Spanish and German (we’re looking for the French dub). We want to hear from you. Is this possible release attractive for you, fellow collectors?.All opinions are welcome!

Regards

Ruben
    Ultra 8

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0126.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	96697

Honestly, Ruben, while I am one of the first to champion the release of new super 8 prints, I honestly don't think that there would be enough interest in this feature to produce a brand new full scope feature of this, unless, of course, you want to make a print for yourself and sell the other print (as they are always printed in pairs), to help cut the overall costs. I applaud your efforts, but if you will go down the road of a feature print, it should be something that you can at least recoup some of your investment. Best regards, Osi

Comment

I appreciate your words, Osi. You’re quite right.

Attached Files

Comment

Not a title for me, I'm afraid.

Comment

Thank you, Dominique. Your opinion is most appreciated.

Comment

A few more photos from our print ;-)

Attached Files

Comment

Ruben,

I recall The Last Valley as being a decent film and your print does look gorgeous, however I don't feel that it is a repeatable enough title for me to purchase. I wish I could be more encouraging.

Comment

To me, a brand-new feature length Super-8 print is kind of a luxury item. I have a number of used ones, and only one new (-gift from my wife back in Derann days). In the best of all worlds I would have many bought new, but given the priorities of everyday life, I can't easily justify it. (-speaking as someone who installed a new dishwasher on Saturday...)

Doug's point about repeatability is important. Once you show a feature it needs to sit for at least a couple of months before people are ready to see it again. (I don't think I show features from any medium more than once a year.) Meanwhile, you have this Mortgage Payment sized investment sitting on the shelves.

We also live in a time when video projection is a very practical alternative. It makes the justification I mentioned above just that much harder.

Ruben,

I'm sensing that you are trying to do something great, and you really are, but maybe this is a step you should hold off on and see how your short film sales do.

Comment

Thank you, Steve. For now it is better to go step by step.

Regards!

Comment

Even with all said, it is a lovely print. The cinemaphotography in this feature was very good

Comment

Perhaps Saturday Night Fever might attract more interest. Because it was flat more collectors might bite...especially those who don't have scope ability. And it would sound great in stereo.

Comment

For the moment I will concentrate on the first 3 releases that are about to be ready and a second batch of exciting titles. Later on I will consider a feature. Thanks a lot!

Regards
                        Ultra 8

Comment

That sounds good!

One of the most important things with something like this is keeping your own enthusiasm early on: if you get stung on your very first release, it's hard to recover.

(-better a bad fourth date than a bad first date!)

Comment

The 3 first releases look and sound great and a second wave of quality titles is on the works now. A few surprises too will be coming later to keep collectors happy.

Ruben
                            Ultra 8

Comment

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...00662;go=newer

Comment

Working...
                              X