Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my Eumig 501 'eating' my 8 mm film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my Eumig 501 'eating' my 8 mm film?

I've found this 'used but working' Eumig 501 & it's been a 'love / hate' kind o this as it's great to see the old home movies my father took from the early 1960's thru to the late 70's.
    However, about 4 or 5 times out of 10 the projector has issues with automatically feeding the film to the back take up reel. So I take off the side cover and manually remove the film from the machine. Start over & keep my fingers crossed.
    Well, things have gone from worse to bad. here's what's happening now. The film is piling up in that bottom 'corner' causing it to get all wrinkled up.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be happening?

Thanks very much in advance for your help

Rudy

Oh. Almost forgot this. Part 2 of this problem...

When I popped off the clear plastic cover of that area where the film feeds in; this small part 'fell out' at the same time & I have no idea where it 'exactly' came from???
    I know it was obviously behind that clear cover attached 'somewhere' to that black section of the projector.
    Does anyone have the same projector that can send me a pic of where this piece goes back in?

Thanks again!

Comment

Here's a couple photos of a Eumig 501 from an internet search. I believe that small piece keeps proper tension on the film as it passes through the guides, and into the gate. The other photo shows the rest of the film path. Make sure the plunger at the bottom is freely moving, and not binding too much against the film. Also check you leader to make sure it's trimmed properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	film_57_Mark-501_1698852279460.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	96843 Click image for larger version

Name:	www.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	96844

Comment

Although I never own this one, bud judging from these pics I guess that this projector would be VERY picky about leaders used. It would have to be in PERFECT condition, cut to proper shape, and have the correct & proper amount of curl in order to get through that labyrinth🤭...I mean film path. Otherwise it would jam itself up like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
          Here's a couple photos of a Eumig 501 from an internet search. I believe that small piece keeps proper tension on the film as it passes through the guides, and into the gate. The other photo shows the rest of the film path. Make sure the plunger at the bottom is freely moving, and not binding too much against the film. Also check you leader to make sure it's trimmed properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	film_57_Mark-501_1698852279460.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	96843 Click image for larger version

Name:	www.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	96844
          Thanks very much Shane;
          I didn't think I'd be able to find pics like these. You're better 'sleuth' than me obviously!
          Cheers;
          Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
            Although I never own this one, bud judging from these pics I guess that this projector would be VERY picky about leaders used. It would have to be in PERFECT condition, cut to proper shape, and have the correct & proper amount of curl in order to get through that labyrinth🤭...I mean film path. Otherwise it would jam itself up like that.
            Thanks Nantawat;
            Funny, I was thinking the same things as these reels of film are 50 years old & older. They were stored with elastic bands around the film to keep it from unravelling over the years.
            So between that & just the 'old' age of the film; it's very 'curled' at the leader. I was wondering if this might be the cause of the problem as well.
            I wonder if there's any 'fix' for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Kessen View Post

Thanks Nantawat;
              Funny, I was thinking the same things as these reels of film are 50 years old & older. They were stored with elastic bands around the film to keep it from unravelling over the years.
              So between that & just the 'old' age of the film; it's very 'curled' at the leader. I was wondering if this might be the cause of the problem as well.
              I wonder if there's any 'fix' for this?
              Replace all your old leader film with new one's. This will solve your problem! New leader film is stronger, and will weave itself through the film path much easier than old dried out leader film. I've had several Eumig 610D's and never had issues with film jamming in these machines...

Comment

Is your take-up working correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Hilliker View Post
                  Is your take-up working correctly?
                  Yes, it seems to be....

Man! I had a heck of a time getting that little spring loaded tension strip back in place!

I really think it is the old film causing the problems. So now new leaders are being suggested. I have no idea where to find these? Nor do I have the equipment to (I presume?) splice them onto the film...

Geeezz... This is becoming a bit of a 'chore / challenge'; just to try & watch some old home movies! I may not be man enough or rich enough to get all these new supplies & equipment! LOL!

Comment

Hi Rudy,

Phil at classic home cinema will help you with leader and a splicer, dont forget to ask for splcing tape or tapes as well. the best splicers are the CIR ones, they have a little roll of tape in them, like a mini roll of cello tape, also get a film trimmer.good luck buddy

Comment

Thanks all! 😊

Comment

Working...
                      X