Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake / Close Encounters

Just a quick question.

I was wondering if there was ever a cinemascope / Cineavision print ever made / released of the 400' versions of Earthquake and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, as there were of classic 400'ers Airport '75, Two Minute Warning, Escape to Athena etc. ?
    I appreciate there was a Close Encounters Promo reel released in scope which was a smaller behind the scenes reel which included a Spielberg interview. I know because I have it, but not seen any 400' versions in scope.

As far as I know, there was never one released, a darned shame, especially concerning Close Encounters of the Third Kind, as that is a film that demands the scope presentation.

Comment

Still not a 400', but in addition to the 100' promo, there is a 5x600 from Derann of Close Encounters in scope.

Comment

....... and, sadly, there were only about 10 copies ever made of it. At least I have my 16mm flat version to fall back on!

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin England View Post
          ....... and, sadly, there were only about 10 copies ever made of it. At least I have my 16mm flat version to fall back on!
          From Super8Database:

Per Ged Jones: This title is extremely rare, with perhaps only 24 copies ever printed before all the elements had to be returned to the 'copyright holders'.
          https://super8database.com/films/2338

Comment

Here, you can see the German S8-scope-trailer for Earthquake (Erdbeben)…
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_V2pLz7ME

Comment

There is also my full scope feature of the 1977 version. From the markings on the film sprocket area, it appears to have been printed either in 1981 or 82. It's low fade, thankfully, and the picture quality is pretty good,but I would be willing to bet that the Derann special edition version is a little better,but I have honestly never heard of anyone who also owns a copy of the 1977 version.
              Last edited by Osi Osgood; February 27, 2024, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
                Plus others. It turns up too often to be only 10 prints. I knew of three collectors with feature prints in this part of the world.

Comment

I recall at one point there were four Forum members (including myself) who posted about having Derann's CE3K.

Joerg, Thank you for that link. I wish I had that one!

Comment

It looks like there’s also an English trailer (released by J.E.F. Films in 1981):
                    http://www.super8rezensionen.de/trailer59.htm
                    But it is non-anamorphic.

Comment

You learn something everyday! So I've seen and passed on the 400ft CE4K with the 'scope sticker on it a couple of times. I just assumed it was the 400ft edit in 'scope, but it appears it was actually the promo?

Wow. Actually wish I'd bought it now...

I remember sitting watching the closing scenes from the Derann print at the Derann April convention in Blackpool around '91; those were the glory days. They had a few prints on sale as I recall. If only I could get my hands on a modified Delorean.

Comment

ReClose Encounters of the Third kind, I have the full length flat feature in Italian. I believe this was one of many titles 'pirated' that appeared on super 8 in Italy in the late 70's/80's. OK the print has colour fade and italian audio but, I have it on S8, awaiting redubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin England View Post
                          ....... and, sadly, there were only about 10 copies ever made of it.

Silly me ! I should have known better than to guesstimate the total number with all the experts I am surrounded by on this forum AND the Super 8 Database. My apologies, particularly to Ed and Mike.

Rob - Very interesting post. Apart from the few full length copies available in scope, the only other scope version, as mentioned previously, is the promo / behind the scenes reel. BUT...... that is only mounted on a 200' reel, not a 400'. Was it this one you may have seen..... or did you see a complete rarity that none of the rest of us know about ?

(The good thing about the promo is that it features that iconic tracking shot of the engineers on the ground at Devil's Tower and the shadow of the vessel above slowly covering them, in all its cinemascope glory. Magnificent!)

Comment

1 Loch Ness Monster, 6 Mona Lisas, 10 pairs of Ruby slippers for Dorothy and at least 200 Last Supper cups plus an abundance of Arks of the Covenants.

Close Encounters I’ve heard of a few. Let’s say 60 that should cover Derann Germany and Italy. Sure there are some out in the good old US. ET was readily available from there in late 1980s for £500 mark and anything was out there if you were prepared to pay.

Shame it’s such a lousy movie.

Comment

Melvin, I picked it up in my hands at a film fair. A 400ft plastic case with the Columbia front packaging and a red 'scope sticker on it. I didn't open it so I now suspect it was the promo. Shame, as I may have actually bought it knowing that!

I also saw a similar box on ebay many years ago and thought nothing of it.

Maybe it was actually the same box / print...some prints do seem to do the rounds...don't get me started on the Mountain Films 200ft print of "Inferno of the Monsters" from The Day of the Triffids. I think I now own the only print of this ever made, complete with green emulsion scratch. Fool me!

The Derann mystical number of prints for CE3K was always 13...one of the reasons we all love this hobby so much; the rumors and speculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X