Converting a Bell & Howell Lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Bell & Howell Lamp

Hello, I'm new here and trying to resurrect our old family Bell & Howell projector. Of course it is missing the DJL lamp. Replacing the lamp seems like an expensive and bad idea (especially because I don't even know how well the projector works yet, so that's going to be phase 2.)

I've seen here people using the QLV-1 holder as a replacement, but all the specs I see rate the QLV-1 as 60V and the DJL as 110V. It doesn't seem like a good idea to drive the socket over its rated voltage. Is there a 110V version of the QLV-1? Another solution people have found?

Thanks in advance!

Look online you might find a halogen lamp with the four pin socket that will work for your machine and you won't have to do any major modification or change unplug the 15 hour bulb and plug-in the 50 hour halogen. It's that easy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291025347853

Comment

Welcome Joel! I don't know where you got the information about the QLV-1 but the max voltage is 125V and I've seen wattage 650 -660W. I have used this adapter on several lamp conversions of Bell & Howell projectors and never had an issue. The conversion is a little time consuming but very doable and well worth it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	00112amd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	97695

Comment

Thank you for the helpful replies.

Duh, I was looking at the QLV-1 here and totally missed that there is a 2nd SKU that is high voltage!

The plug in option looks far easier but perhaps less fun.

Comment

Joel try Optech lighting
          19 lupine rd n andover
          ask for john
          he's a good repair man he might have the bulb and the kit you need

Comment

And make sure you drive there. It shouldn't be too far for you. It's a trip down memory lane to the days of an old-fashioned camera shop. You will love it.

Comment

Here are some pics of conversions I've done.

I have never written the instructions on how to do this. I'll see if I remember and can write down the steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                Here are some pics of conversions I've done.
                Janice, your pictures don't appear on my screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240313_185051_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	97759 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240313_185110_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	97760

Comment

Dominique... When I first launched that thread today my pictures didn't show up either although they did when I saved the reply. Then they showed up about two or three minutes later. Very strange. I'll see if it's not too late for me to go in and attach them from another folder otherwise I'll repost it.
                  Last edited by Janice Glesser; March 13, 2024, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I'm reposting the photos of the lens conversions I've done since they are not showing up for everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp coversion-1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	97763 Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp coversion-2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	97764

Let me know if you can't see the photos.

Comment

Yes, Janice, the pictures now appear 👍🏽

Comment

Same for me I can see them in the second post, not the first. Tks for reposting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
                          Joel try Optech lighting
                          19 lupine rd n andover
                          ask for john
                          he's a good repair man he might have the bulb and the kit you need
                          Thanks Chip, I did go to Optech and spoke with Gary. They are great and the offered to do the conversion. I ended up renting a projector from them for a few days to test things out. I'll probably go the conversion route when I get some spare time.

Comment

I still think you might be able to find a bulb that will do what you need and it will have the regular four pin socket that the projector was originally manufactured. For other words you swapped the bulbs. You stop using DJL and plug in the halogen whatever code that is Directly into the DJL socket this will avoid costly remodel to the lamp, house

Comment

Joel Margolese George Tveden has an LED upgrade available you might consider.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X