Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sankyo Super 8mm Sound Projector speed issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo Super 8mm Sound Projector speed issue?

I recently purchased a pretty nice clean Sankyo Sound projector. Tested it out ok - played a couple of films. Mostly action not a lot of dialogue. Then I just received some new films and gave them a spin.

Each film sounds as though it is running a bit fast - the voices are a bit off - as though they are sped up. The projector does not have a speed control - because if it did I would back it off from 24fps to see if that would correct it.

I pulled out another copy of HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN that I’ve had for a while and BORIS doesn’t sound quite right….. The projector is super clean and nice and was advertised as SERVICED.

Any idea or thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? The film does not look necessarily speeded up but the voices sound off. Could this be the recording heads?

Model number?

There should be a switch for 18 or 24 fps. There is is no variable control for speed, and the 18/24 switch should never be used while the projector is running.

Comment

Model 762. And everything seems to be running just fine. The sound - to me - just sounds “off”. Chipmunk-like as though it is running too fast. Yes it has a switch 18/24. It is set to 24.

Comment

With the cover off you'll definitely find 2 pots for fine tuning the speed, one for each speed settings. The harder part is how to measure its actual speed so you can correct that. An optical hand-held tachometer should do the trick just fine.

Comment

The are several posts on the forum I found by searching for "setting projector speed". Here are a few:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ctor#post52794

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...=009387#000022

Comment

Hi Phil! I have a Sankyo 600 and an 800. Both have speed control pots for 18 and 24 FPS. Here is a photo of my 600 indicating what the speed control pots look like. Use a non-metal screwdriver ... in my case I used a wooden letter opener... to turn the pots so you don't get shocked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sankyo600 Speed pots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	97941

Comment

Thanks Let me give that a shot!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7852[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	97968

This is my Sankyo 762 with the back off. Not sure where to start to find those Potentiometers to adjust. I feel they must be in there but I cannot see them or anything that looks like what Janice posted. Certainly I don't have to remove the guts of this projector to get to those adjustments? Ideas anyone?

Last edited by Philip Hamilton; March 17, 2024, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Looking onto the circuit board of course I was hoping to see two pots adjustments but i don't see them.

Comment

I don't see the pots from that view...however take a look at the 2 metal components behind the bridge rectifier. These look like they may be pots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sankyo 762 Possible Pots.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	97979

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	97985

Ok this is over the top of that guard and you can see that I think that is a fuse of some sort. Puzzling. I wonder if it can be accessed from the front although that doesn’t seem where it would normally be.
                      Last edited by Philip Hamilton; March 17, 2024, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, from that angle I can see it's a fuse. Hopefully someone that has the same projector can chime in and help you out.

Comment

Thank you I hope so. What concerns me is that if they are there it makes no sense to have them covered and inaccessible but hopefully we will see.

Comment

Another thought would be HOW TO INSTALL A POTENTIOMETER in path to the Motor so that you could dial it up/down a bit …

Comment

Not 100% dead certain but...🤔

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7854.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	97996

Comment

Working...
                              X