• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle Films Paramount Releases

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	98290 Castle Films the forerunner of Universal 8 released cutdowns of some Paramount pictures in 200ft silent and sound versions.

Dr Cyclops and Cleopatra being examples. Where there any other Paramount titles?

Cleopatra the Cecil B De Mille version is an unusual release as there are four separate 200ft digests making up a 2x400 mini feature. The 1st two releases concentrate on Cleopatra and Caesar and the other other two focus on Cleopatra and Antony plus death of Cleopatra.

Prints tend to be very good. Dr Cylops issued in 200ft black and white sound is a good edit and much superior to the Universal 8 pink faded colour print that was issued as a 400ft digest. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2474.jpg Views:	7 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	98283 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2473.jpg Views:	7 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	98284 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2475.jpg Views:	7 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	98285 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2702.jpg Views:	7 Size:	185.4 KB ID:	98287

I presume when Marketing Films came into being they gained exclusive rights to Paramount releases
    Last edited by Mike Newell; March 23, 2024, 11:14 AM.

It sounds like it, Mike. I only knew of two digests from Cleopatra. Somebody really "dug" that film at Castle Films!

Comment

MCA/Universal has owned the rights to the pre-1948 Paramount sound films since 1958. NBC/Universal still owns them. So Castle Films, a division of United World Films, a subsidiary of Universal, had full access to the original pre-1948 Paramount 35mm elements. Mountain Films had their own contractual agreement with Paramount for any post-1948 titles. If Mountain wanted to release a pre-1948 Paramount title, they would have to license it from Universal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Horan View Post
        MCA/Universal has owned the rights to the pre-1948 Paramount sound films since 1958. NBC/Universal still owns them. So Castle Films, a division of United World Films, a subsidiary of Universal, had full access to the original pre-1948 Paramount 35mm elements. Mountain Films had their own contractual agreement with Paramount for any post-1948 titles. If Mountain wanted to release a pre-1948 Paramount title, they would have to license it from Universal.
        Thanks for answer Kenneth

Comment

"I'm No Angel" is another Paramount film that was released by Castle Films and later by Universal Eight in a 20 minute version. I have not seen the 20 minute version so I am wondering if any of the Castle Films scenes are in it. Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Balitzki View Post
            "I'm No Angel" is another Paramount film that was released by Castle Films and later by Universal Eight in a 20 minute version. I have not seen the 20 minute version so I am wondering if any of the Castle Films scenes are in it. Anyone know?
            Hi Joe

Yes that’s another one. I am only aware of the 400 digest by U8 I have never seen the Castle 200 digest. From memory, the 400 digest consists of the pre amble of setting the scene jealous boyfriend etc. Most of the footage is the court scenes with Mae West’s risqué replies and wise cracks to the Judge and jury when she is giving testimony plus the happy wrap up when Cary and Mae come back together.

Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	98812

Comment

I think Castle Films' Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields released were originally Paramount titles (if I'm understanding the question correctly).

Comment

Joe,

If I remember correctly, Castle's 200' version of I'm No Angel concentrates on Mae West performing a song and then taming lions. None of that footage is used in the U-8 400 footer.

Comment

Working...
                X