My latest motion picture video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest motion picture video

I'm putting this HERE even though it covers both formats 8 & 16. Hope that's OK.

Tower changes at home!

TOWER CONSTRUCTION began in 2002.
    An idea came about to produce a long play
    system that could free a main machine
    from spooling heavier filled reels. This could
    be achieved by adding an additional
    special device for the purpose of spooling.
    Through trial and error - a unit was built
    And tested in October of that year.

After a few changes in 2005 the Towers
    were downsized slightly and installed in
    a booth. After 13 years the results were
    flawless.

In 2024 the bottom motors were
    Relocated to the middle shelf area and this
    resulted in the operator being able to do
    everything in standing position. In other words, no
    longer having to go down on his knees to work
    with take up reels.

This new design is currently in testing
    modes. There are 2 pairs of Towers and
    both have been redesigned for standing
    use only. At the time of this writing, testing
    is going fairly well and I do not expect any
    issues to develop.

The Christie platter rollers are
    assembled on a long shaft bolt and it has 3 Nylocks on
    it. The 1st attaches the shaft assembly to
    the mounting block. The 2nd sets the
    distance of the roller on the shaft. The 3rd keeps
    the roller on the shaft. The mounting block
    is wood screwed to the side of the 2 x 4 carpenter's stud. The distance is
    adjusted so as the film comes to the roller it hits on center of the abyss for perfect centering. I believe this abyss centering helps maintain the film hits the reel flange area without touching the flanges as shown in the video
    as noted "precise alignment."

The B&H machines have all had worm gear rebuilds done and are nice and quiet.
    They also are very old and each have quirks of their own. They can be used for 16mm projection. But they have been placed on the counter based on the severity of the quirks. A machine that has auto load issues is better as a take up motor and vice-versa.
    Thanks for watching. And keep running those movies!

Comments appreciated!

Well done Chip, that's a great set up you have there!

Comment

Come over soon and see fur uself

Comment

Chip,

Very, very impressive!

Comment

Thanks Doug. Feel free to mention it at Cinesea. it just proves the point that if you can dream it, you can build it providing it is within your means.......

Comment

For those interested

The B&H machines are basically all original as designed by B&H. Any modification is very slightly done.

I never make any kind of change that permanently alters or changes the projector EVER. Any change I make can be easily reversed and the machine is ready for auditorium standard use.

I change the take up pulley between super 8 and 16mm. The take up shaft was pulled from two other machines that went to the dump. Those parts were machined down from 16mm square to 5/16 round. This change allowed for my special made super 8 adapter to be put on that shaft and secured via allen nut. The super 8 reel slides on to the 1/2" adapter and an additional retaining nut is applied to keep the 8mm reel to the shaft. The arm covers are removed making it easier for frequent changing of these two different shafts.

The B&H machine is reduced from 24 to 18FPS by changing the belt to the smaller pulley. This is done exactly how you would do it for running 16mm at 18 FPS. When you compare approximately 45 feet per minute of 16 (@ 24fps) to 22 feet per minute at super 8 24 fps - the take up belt and clutch assembly absorbs the difference and everything works fine. The end result is that, yes - a 16mm projector running at 18 fps can safely take up super 8 running at 24 fps without "pulling too hard" on the super 8 drive train (all the gears and belts inside the super 8 machine being used).

I've spent many hours with long play systems and these results are easy to do. Any 16mm machine should work for this but it MUST be able to run at 18 fps to the super 8 @ 24.

Although I have used Christie platter rollers - you could probably pick up some adaptable 16mm rollers from Van-Eck in the Netherlands. I'm quite certain I have seen these on his website.

Build yourself a long play system. And further enjoy watching the films you own!

-cg-

Comment

Working...
            X