Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    Did nothing for me with probably 2/3 post production and film look effects carried out on a digital timeline.
    The large viewing figures will be Ms Perry's draw not the S8 acquisition.

Another missed opportunity for Kodaks new super 8 camera perhaps.

I does beg the question however who is scripting filming and actually completing a film on super 8 without any trickery? That is promoting S8 film making.

Leave a comment:

• Janice Glesser
    replied
    No argument that the transfer quality was sub-par. Many of my DIY transfers look better than this video even before post enhancements. However I'm with you Adrian in that what it lacks in quality for me it makes up for just in the fact that it was shot on 8mm film. That's huge in itself, especially since Katy Perry is such a popular performer right now. We can only hope this might trigger other music video makers to dabble in film. We need to encourage them...and hopefully they will strive for better quality results.

Leave a comment:

• Michael O’Regan
    replied
    I’m pretty certain that the intention here was not to show how amazing Super 8 can look.

Leave a comment:

• Adrian Winchester
    replied
    I'm glad that this was shot on Super 8, which will help publicise that the format is still alive. I share Brad's disappointment in relation to how it looks, but I think the fact is that although Lee (or probably any of us) would try to achieve the best possible results if he did this, the aesthetic being sought was a very overt 'home movie' look, which would also explain the out of focus shots, the large number of flashes of light (digitally added, no doubt), etc. I wonder whether anyone would have said "it looks too good" if high quality had been the objective? But at least real film was used, as it could easily have been done with a Super 8 simulating programme!

Leave a comment:

• Juergen Lossau
    replied
    Here is an interview I made with the female filmmaker who was in charge for Katy Perry's new song DAISIES: https://www.super8.tv/en/the-woman-behind-daisies/

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    It's the way with media I'm afraid. Having worked in it for some time I often used to get my leg pulled by the trade for using a super 8 camera in video production to get the film look and on a tripod even!
    Other pros at the time were all using the Cinelook software plug in but using film for effect is a far more honest approach.
    I get tired of what we used to call wavy cam filming and if a artist cant perform without someone throwing a camera around them to gain effect they must surely be lacking.

With a smile I recall my first 8mm music short released on standard 8 sound by Derann. On the beat 100ft. George Formby singing one song to camera, now that was well filmed

Leave a comment:

• Shane C. Collins
    replied
    I agree with Brad. I can produce a much better quality movie on my Elmo Super 110 using Ektachrome 100D color reversal. Projected my movies are sharp, low grain, and vivid colors. Maybe it's just me but I'm not impressed with digital copies of Super 8. So many people are missing out on the real qualities of Super 8 projected on a large screen, there's no comparison. However I understand for the masses Super 8 must be viewed in a digital format. But as Brad points out Super 8 does not have to look like this video does.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Miller
    replied
    This link was posted over on a facebook group, and like there I will point out that I don't understand why the fuss over this. The film looks like absolute diarrhea. Super 8 does NOT have to look that terrible. Done right, Super 8 is quite impressive, but this music video totally shits up the format's potential for quality. I find it an embarrassment to the format.

Leave a comment:

• Janice Glesser
    replied
    Juergen Lossau That video was great! Thanks for posting. Katy Perry is so brave to put out a music video where she is very pregnant...nude...and filmed in Super 8. Gotta love Katy and the new song too.

Leave a comment:

• Juergen Lossau
    started a topic Most successful Super 8 music video ever

Most successful Super 8 music video ever

3.5 million viewers in two days! Katy Perry sets a record with her new hit for a music clip that was created entirely on Super 8.
    https://www.super8.tv/en/video/most-...ic-video-ever/
Working...
X